Magnetic Force direction on a charged particle moving parallel to a wire

In summary, the conversation discusses how to use the right hand rule to determine the direction of the magnetic field and force on a particle. There is confusion about which right hand rule to use for finding the force. One person remembers the direction of the magnetic field for a wire as clockwise when the current is into the paper, but they do not use a specific right hand rule for it.
Devs

Homework Statement

upload_2017-10-29_15-31-37.png

Homework Equations

The right hand curl rule gave me the counterclockwise direction for the magnetic field but I am confused about how is it going to work for the particle. Thanks

The Attempt at a Solution

Attachments

• upload_2017-10-29_15-31-37.png
    upload_2017-10-29_15-31-37.png
    10.6 KB · Views: 1,659
Physics news on Phys.org
By using the right hand rule for the magnetic field from the wire, you need to determine which direction that the magnetic field ## \vec{B} ## points at the position of the particle. You then need to compute the direction of the force ## \vec{F}=Q( \vec{v} \times \vec{B} ) ## using the right hand rule for the vector cross product.

Likes Devs
Charles Link said:
By using the right hand rule for the magnetic field from the wire, you need to determine which direction that the magnetic field ## \vec{B} ## points at the position of the particle. You then need to compute the direction of the force ## \vec{F}=Q( \vec{v} \times \vec{B} ) ## using the right hand rule for the vector cross product.

Thanks for your answer. I tried doing that and I am not able to get the direction at the point at which the particle is. Lastly, which right hand rule do we use to find the force? (Fleming's or the other right hand rule)

Devs said:
Thanks for your answer. I tried doing that and I am not able to get the direction at the point at which the particle is. Lastly, which right hand rule do we use to find the force? (Fleming's or the other right hand rule)
For a wire, I always remember the ## B ## field direction as being clockwise (pointing down on the right side) when the current is into the paper=I really don't use a right hand rule for it. You need to translate that when the wire is running along the paper.

Likes Devs

Related to Magnetic Force direction on a charged particle moving parallel to a wire

1. What is the direction of the magnetic force on a charged particle moving parallel to a wire?

The direction of the magnetic force on a charged particle moving parallel to a wire is perpendicular to both the direction of motion of the particle and the direction of the magnetic field created by the wire.

2. How do you determine the direction of the magnetic force on a charged particle?

The direction of the magnetic force on a charged particle can be determined using the right-hand rule. Point your thumb in the direction of the particle's motion, align your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, and the direction your palm is facing is the direction of the magnetic force.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic force on a charged particle moving parallel to a wire?

The strength of the magnetic force on a charged particle moving parallel to a wire is affected by the charge of the particle, the speed of the particle, and the strength of the magnetic field created by the wire.

4. How does the direction of the magnetic force change if the charged particle's velocity is reversed?

If the charged particle's velocity is reversed, the direction of the magnetic force will also reverse. This means that the particle will experience a force in the opposite direction.

5. Can the direction of the magnetic force on a charged particle be changed?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic force on a charged particle can be changed by altering the direction of either the particle's motion or the magnetic field created by the wire. Additionally, changing the charge or speed of the particle can also change the direction of the magnetic force.