Magnetic Fields of copper wire

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the direction and magnitude of a magnetic field needed to levitate a 1.0 cm copper wire with a diameter of 0.10 cm carrying a current of 50.0 A. The equation for the force on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field was used to determine the field, and the right hand rule was used to determine the direction. The charge was moving to the east, so the magnetic field should point north.
Mitchtwitchita

Homework Statement

A 1.0 cm copper wire of diameter 0.10 cm carries a current of 50.0 A to the east. Suppose we apply to this wire a magnetic field that produces on it an upward force exactly equal in magnitude to the wire's weight, causing the wire to "levitate." What are the field's direction and magnitude.

Homework Equations

B = [(Mu)I]/[2(pi)r]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't really know how to get this one started. Am I supposed to determine the weight of the copper wire by the area and the atomic weight? Can somebody please help me out with this one?

Physics news on Phys.org
Mitchtwitchita said:
I don't really know how to get this one started. Am I supposed to determine the weight of the copper wire by the area and the atomic weight? Can somebody please help me out with this one?
You are supposed to find the mass from the mass density and the volume. Also you need to use the equation for the force on a current-carrying wire in a magnetic field. The equation that you posted gives the magnetic field due to a very long wire. Not the same thing.

I don't know how to find the mass through the mass density and the volume. I assume the volume would be that of a cylinder?

Mitchtwitchita said:
I don't know how to find the mass through the mass density and the volume. I assume the volume would be that of a cylinder?
Yes, what expression gives the volume of a cylinder?

Last edited:
m = dv
d = 8.94 g/cm^3
v = (pi)r^2h
=(3.14)(0.50 cm)^2(100cm)
=78.5 cm^3

Therefore, m = dv
=(8.94 g/cm^3)(78.5 cm^3)
=7.01 x 10^2 g
=0.701 kg?

F = ma
=(0.701 kg)(9.81 m/s^2)
=6.88 N

B = F/IL
=(6.88 N)/(50 A)(1.0 m)
=0.14 T

Does this answer look correct to you?

Your mass calculation is incorrect. You have the wrong radius and the wrong length for the wire. Your calculation for the B field is the correct approach. However, you still need to specify the direction of the field. Hint: Use the right hand rule.

Oops, I wrote the wrong units for the length of the wire. I apologize, it should read 1.0 m. Let me make another attempt at it.

v = (pi)r^2h
=(3.14)(0.050 cm)^2(100 cm)
=0.785 cm^3

m = dv
=(8.94 g/cm^3)(0.785)
=7.02 g
=7.02 x 10^-3 kg

F = ma
=(7.02 x 10^-3)(9.81 m/s^2)
=6.88 x 10^-2 N

Therefore, B would equal 1.4 x 10^-3 T, and the direction of the field would be coming out of the page if it means the force is up in the field of the page.

Mitchtwitchita said:
... and the direction of the field would be coming out of the page if it means the force is up in the field of the page.
In what direction is the current relative to the page?

The current is to the east. I wasn't sure if they meant up as in a 3-D view of the ground up or just up in the plane of the page. If they mean that the force is up in the plane of the page, the field would be coming out of the page. If they mean that the force is coming out of the page as if it were a 3-D view of the ground, then the field would be going up in the plane of the page.

Suppose you hold the page so that its plane is parallel to the ground. Draw a line right to left and turn the page about a vertical axis so that left-to-right is west to east. Gravity acts perpendicular to the page and down. You want the magnetic force to be up. In what direction should the magnetic field point?

The magnetic force on what? The magnetic force is q VxB, so it depends on the velocity of the charge as well as the magnetic field. In what direction is the charge moving?

phyzguy said:
The magnetic force on what? The magnetic force is q VxB, so it depends on the velocity of the charge as well as the magnetic field. In what direction is the charge moving?
Please read the statement of the problem carefully to answer this question for yourself.

kuruman said:
Please read the statement of the problem carefully to answer this question for yourself.

Sorry, I missed the original statement. Please ignore my post.

So, the magnetic field should point North.

Correct.

Thanks for your time kuruman!

Related to Magnetic Fields of copper wire

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible force that is created by the movement of electrically charged particles, such as electrons. It is responsible for the attraction and repulsion of magnetic materials.

2. How is a magnetic field created in copper wire?

A magnetic field is created in copper wire when an electric current flows through it. This is because the movement of electrons in the wire generates a magnetic field around the wire.

3. How does the direction of the current affect the magnetic field in copper wire?

The direction of the current affects the direction of the magnetic field in copper wire. If the current is flowing in one direction, the magnetic field will also have a specific direction. If the current changes direction, the magnetic field will also change direction.

4. Can the strength of a magnetic field in copper wire be changed?

Yes, the strength of a magnetic field in copper wire can be changed by altering the amount of current flowing through the wire. The stronger the current, the stronger the magnetic field.

5. How is the strength of a magnetic field measured?

The strength of a magnetic field in copper wire is measured using a device called a Gaussmeter. This device measures the strength of the magnetic field in units of Gauss or Tesla.