Magnetic Field strength Problem

In summary, the problem is to find the magnetic field strength and direction at a specific point (dot) in Figure Ex.32.8, given the velocity of a particle, the distance from the dot, and other constants. The solution involves using the Biot-Savart Law and writing the vectors in component form. The final step is to multiply the magnitude of the cross product of the velocity and the unit vector in the direction of the dot to find the magnetic field strength.
boozi

Homework Statement

What are the magnetic field strength and direction at the dot in Figure Ex32.8, in which v = 3.0*10^7 m/s?

Figure Ex.32.8 is attached to the this post.
r = 0.02828 m
m0/4pi = 10^-7 T
v = 3.0*10^7 m/s
q = 1.60217653*10^-19 C

Homework Equations

Biot-Savart Law (attached), can't really type it...

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok. It's probably a very simple problem and it makes me feel really bad 'cause I can't solve it... I've tried to solve it with the Biot-Savart Law (check attach) with the values I mentioned above

I'm sure I calculated the cross product wrong.. How would I calculate it in this case? Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• p32-08alt1.gif
    p32-08alt1.gif
    2.9 KB · Views: 3,570
  • Savart.png
    Savart.png
    673 bytes · Views: 2,901
Physics news on Phys.org
Try writing the vector v and [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] in the [itex]\hat{x}, \hat{y}[/itex] form, and then write the cross product.

First, thanks for replying to my post. Second, here's what I did:
vector v = 0i + 3.0*10^7j
[itex]\hat{r}[/itex]=-0.01/0.028i - 0.01/0.028j
Now, hopefully, that's correct. With that, the only thing left to do is multiply
m0/4pi * q/r, which is 2.003*10^-23 by [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] and then cross
it with vector v, right?

boozi said:
First, thanks for replying to my post. Second, here's what I did:
vector v = 0i + 3.0*10^7j
Now, hopefully, that's correct. With that, the only thing left to do is multiply
m0/4pi * q/r, which is 2.003*10^-23 by [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] and then cross
it with vector v, right?

Your r vector is just -0.02i -0.02j. Other than that everything looks good.

boozi said:
That unit vector should be (approximately): [itex]\hat{r}[/itex]=-0.02/0.028i - 0.02/0.028j
(Which is consistent with what learningphysics said about the vector r.)

Doc Al said:
That unit vector should be (approximately): [itex]\hat{r}[/itex]=-0.02/0.028i - 0.02/0.028j
(Which is consistent with what learningphysics said about the vector r.)

Ah yes... I apologize. you need the unit vector in the r direction, not the r vector itself.

And when I'm crossing the two, I'll just need to multiply v by r and then by sin 45, right?

boozi said:
And when I'm crossing the two, I'll just need to multiply v by r and then by sin 45, right?

You're crossing v with the unit vector in the r direction... hence it's just v*1*sin45, that gives the magnitude of the cross product.

so the magnitude of [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] x [tex]\vec{v}[/tex] is just vsin45, where [tex]\hat{r}[/tex] is a unit vector in the r direction.

Last edited:

Related to Magnetic Field strength Problem

1. What is magnetic field strength?

Magnetic field strength is a measure of the intensity of a magnetic field at a specific point. It is typically represented by the symbol B and is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G).

2. How is magnetic field strength calculated?

Magnetic field strength can be calculated using the equation B = μ₀I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ₀ is the permeability of free space, I is the current, and r is the distance from the point to the source of the magnetic field.

3. What factors affect magnetic field strength?

The strength of a magnetic field can be affected by several factors, such as the amount of current flowing through a wire, the distance from the source of the magnetic field, and the type of material the magnetic field is passing through. Additionally, the direction and orientation of the magnetic field can also impact its strength.

4. How does magnetic field strength differ from magnetic field intensity?

Magnetic field strength and magnetic field intensity are often used interchangeably, but they are technically different concepts. Magnetic field strength refers to the strength of the magnetic field at a specific point, while magnetic field intensity refers to the strength of the magnetic field over a specific area.

5. Why is magnetic field strength important?

Magnetic field strength is important because it is a crucial factor in understanding and predicting the behavior of electrically charged particles, such as electrons and protons. It is also essential in various technological applications, such as motors, generators, and medical devices.