Magnetic field strength and SHM

In summary, the conversation discusses a proof involving a bar magnet suspended in a uniform magnetic field and undergoing simple harmonic motion when displaced from equilibrium. The period of the motion is given by T = 2*pi* (I/plH)^1/2, where I is the moment of inertia, p is the magnetic pole strength, and l is the separation between the poles of the bar magnet. The conversation also mentions the equations T= pln X H and P= 2*pi*(I/plH)^1/2 and the attempt at a solution using torque and angular displacement. The conclusion of the conversation is that the proof is complete.
debwaldy

Homework Statement

Hi there.this is one of those proof dealies that i think i nearly have right but i was wondering if anyone could point out if i have made too many assumptions or anything thanks.
Show that if a bar magnet is suspended in a uniform magnetic field, of strength H, and is displaced slightly from equilibrium, it undergoes SHM with period:
T = 2*pi* (I/plH)^1/2, where I is the moment of inertia, p is the magnetic pole strength, and l is the separation between the poles of the bar magnet.

Homework Equations

T= pln X H
P= 2*pi*(I/plH)^1/2

The Attempt at a Solution

I said: Torque on magnet T=pln X h
T(alpha) = -plhsin(alpha) =-plH * alpha which is proportional to - alpha => SHM

T/alpha = plH

P= 2*pi* (moment of inertia about axis of rotation/restoring torque per unit angular displacement)^1/2
=> P = 2*pi*(I/plH)^1/2
Q.E.D?:-p

Physics news on Phys.org
:biggrin: will i take it as being Q.E.D'd then ya?

I would first commend the student for their attempt at a solution and for recognizing the importance of proving their assumptions. However, I would suggest that they clarify their equations and provide more detailed explanations for each step. For example, they could explain why the torque on the magnet is proportional to the angular displacement and how this leads to SHM. Additionally, they could provide a diagram or illustration to help visualize the situation. It would also be helpful to define any variables that may not be familiar to the reader, such as the moment of inertia and magnetic pole strength. Overall, the student has the right idea and with some further clarification, their proof could be more convincing.

Related to Magnetic field strength and SHM

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces act on charged particles and magnetic materials. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and is represented by lines of force that point from north to south.

2. How is magnetic field strength measured?

Magnetic field strength is measured in tesla (T) or gauss (G). One tesla is equal to 10,000 gauss. It can be measured using a device called a magnetometer, which detects the strength and direction of the magnetic field at a specific point.

3. What is SHM (Simple Harmonic Motion) in relation to magnetic field strength?

SHM is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. In the context of magnetic field strength, SHM refers to the oscillation or vibration of charged particles in a magnetic field, caused by the interplay between the magnetic forces and the restoring force of the particle's motion.

4. How does the strength of a magnetic field affect SHM?

The strength of a magnetic field directly affects the frequency and amplitude of SHM. A stronger magnetic field will result in a higher frequency and greater amplitude of oscillation for a charged particle, while a weaker magnetic field will result in a lower frequency and smaller amplitude.

5. What are some real-world applications of understanding magnetic field strength and SHM?

Knowledge of magnetic field strength and SHM is crucial in various fields such as physics, engineering, and medicine. It is used in the design of motors, generators, and other electromagnetic devices. Understanding SHM also plays a role in the development of medical technologies such as MRI machines, which use strong magnetic fields to produce images of the body's internal structures.