Magnetic field of revolving disk

In summary: But to find da' you need to find the length of the arc of the circle, and it's not a simple circle, it's a spiral. But we can use a trick to find the length of a spiral arc.Finding the length of a spiral arc1. Every point on the spiral is given by [itex] \vec{r}=r \cos \theta \hat{i} + r \sin \theta \hat{j} + \omega r \theta \hat{k} [/itex]2. So the length of the spiral arc is:[itex] ds=\sqrt{\left( \frac{dx}{d \theta} \right)^2+ \left( \frac{
Dell
find the expression for the magnetic field at a distance z on the axis which passes through the centre of a disk, with a radius of R, and a charge density σ, the disk is rotating at an anular velocity of ω.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_H4Iz7SmBrbk/SivHVn0m_fI/AAAAAAAABC0/9sgJmbkoJK8/s720/Untitled.jpg

could someone tell me if this is all done correctly?

the equations i am going to use are
1)F=ILxB
2)f=qvxB
3)biot savar

1st stage i want to express the charge q,
q=σπR2

now i use
f=qvxB=σπR2vB ( the angle is 90 degrees constant)
f=σπR3

F is also ILB so i know that IL=σπR3ω

now using biot savar

dB=(μI*dlxr)/4πr3)

now for I*dl i want to substitute the expression i found earlier, with R being my variable, not that sure about this...

dB==(μσπR3ωdR)/4π((R2+z2)0.5)3)

dB=(μσR3ωdR)/4((R2+z2)1.5)

B=(μσω/4)*∫R3dR/(z2+R2)1.5

after integration i get

B=(μσω/4)*(1+z2/(z2+R2))*(z2+R2)0.5 with my limits being R from 0 to R

and eventually i get
B=(μσω/4)*[(1+z2/(z2+R2))*(z2+R2)0.5-2z]

i have never solved anything of this sort and hope everything i have done is okay, thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You're pretty close, however your mistake is to assume that the force is constant for every r which it is not. [itex]F=qvB[/itex], but v and q are different at different radii. Therefore the total force would be [itex]\int_0^{2R} vBdq =\int_0^{2R} \omega r B 2 \pi r \sigma dr=\int_0^{2R} I B dr[/tex]. We're integrating over the same range and variable so the integrands need to be the same therefore.

[tex]
2 \pi \sigma \omega r^2 B dr=I B dr \Rightarrow I dr= 2 \pi \sigma \omega r^2 dr
[/tex]

Then using Biot-Savart yields:
[tex]
\frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \int_0^{2R} \frac{2 \pi \sigma \omega r^2}{r'^2} \cos \theta dr
[/tex]

r' is the distance from a point on the disk to the z-axis, [itex]r'^2=r^2+z^2[/itex]. And [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle between r and r', so [itex]\cos \theta[/itex] picks out the x component of the magnetic field.

An easier way would be using the surface current density, [itex]K=\sigma v[/itex]. Biot-Savart then becomes:
[tex]
\vec{B}(\vec{r})=\frac{\mu_0}{4 \pi} \int \frac{\vec{K} \times \hat{r}}{r^2}da'
[/tex]

Last edited:

Your calculations appear to be correct. You have used the correct equations and have properly substituted the variables. However, it is always a good idea to double check your work and make sure all units are consistent throughout the calculations. Additionally, it may be helpful to provide a brief explanation of the steps you took in your solution to make it easier for others to follow. Overall, your response is well-written and demonstrates a good understanding of the magnetic field of a revolving disk.

Related to Magnetic field of revolving disk

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a physical phenomenon that is created by moving electric charges. It is a region in space where a magnetic force can be experienced by other moving electric charges.

2. How is a magnetic field created by a revolving disk?

When an electric current flows through a wire, it creates a circular magnetic field around the wire. In a revolving disk, the movement of electric charges in the disk creates an electric current, which in turn creates a magnetic field around the disk.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in a revolving disk?

The strength of the magnetic field in a revolving disk depends on the amount of electric current flowing through the disk, the speed of rotation, and the distance from the center of the disk.

4. How does the direction of rotation affect the direction of the magnetic field in a revolving disk?

The direction of rotation of the disk determines the direction of the magnetic field. If the disk rotates clockwise, the magnetic field lines will be in the opposite direction compared to when the disk rotates counterclockwise.

5. What are some practical applications of the magnetic field of a revolving disk?

The magnetic field of a revolving disk is used in many everyday devices, such as electric motors, generators, and hard drives. It is also used in scientific research to study magnetism and electromagnetism.