Magnetic field of radially aligned spherical magnet

In summary, if a sphere of steel is cut into magnetized pieces and then rejoined, it will form a dipole-like pattern of magnetic field with two opposing poles at opposite ends of the sphere.
appa609
Suppose I have a sphere of steel. Now suppose that I take this sphere and cut it into hundreds of solid-angle pieces. Now each of these pieces is charged with a magnet so that the pointed end is the south, and the round end is the north pole. Now take these pieces of magnet, and join them together once more, so that they once more form a sphere so that the original north end of the individual magnets face outwards.

Now if the magnetic field from this object was plotted, what would I see?
1. would it be straight lines extending from the center? If one thinks about the north and south pole as fixed regions of each magnet, then the north pole is always closer to any test charge, so the ball should give off a net positive field at any external location.
2. would it be 0? The mini magnets can be thought of as stacks of magnets end to end, so the sphere is a stack of infinitely thin spherical shells. Thus, the net difference between the mean distance from the north and south poles would be 0, so no magnetic field results.
3. would it become a regular bar magnet? Just a random possibility I thought of, no reason I can think of to support this, though I'm only a student, so please share.
4. Something else entirely.
please describe and explain.
β)

Physics news on Phys.org
The magnetic field from the object would form a dipole-like pattern, with two regions of opposing poles at opposite ends of the sphere. This is because the north and south poles of the individual magnets combine to create a single net dipole moment. This dipole moment will form a magnetic field with a radial pattern, with one pole at the center of the sphere and the other on the outer surface. This will cause the magnetic field lines to spread out radially from the center, with the field strength decreasing with distance from the center.

Related to Magnetic field of radially aligned spherical magnet

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a force field created by moving electric charges or magnetic materials. It can exert a force on other moving electric charges or magnetic materials.

2. How is the magnetic field of a radially aligned spherical magnet different from other magnets?

A radially aligned spherical magnet has a magnetic field that is uniform in all directions, whereas other magnets may have a more complex magnetic field with varying strengths and directions.

3. How is the strength of the magnetic field of a radially aligned spherical magnet determined?

The strength of the magnetic field of a radially aligned spherical magnet is determined by the material properties of the magnet, such as its magnetic moment, and the distance from the magnet's center.

4. Can the magnetic field of a radially aligned spherical magnet be manipulated?

Yes, the magnetic field of a radially aligned spherical magnet can be manipulated by changing the material properties of the magnet or by using external magnetic fields.

5. What are the practical applications of the magnetic field of a radially aligned spherical magnet?

The magnetic field of a radially aligned spherical magnet has various practical applications, such as in magnetic levitation systems, magnetic storage devices, and medical imaging technologies like MRI machines.