Magnetic field of a charged rod

In summary, this thought experiment shows that if you spin a metal rod with a positive or negative charge, you will create a magnetic field that oscillates with the motion of the rod.
dubvmet
moving charged particles created a magnetic field perpendicular to their motion I believe. Anyways If you where to give a metal rod a positive or negative charge and spun it really fast would you created a noticeable magnetic field as a result of the moving rod as a whole?

Its just a thought experiment I was thinking of and wanted to know the answer.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hello dubvmet,

Welcome to Physics Forums!

dubvmet said:
moving charged particles created a magnetic field perpendicular to their motion I believe. Anyways If you where to give a metal rod a positive or negative charge and spun it really fast would you created a noticeable magnetic field as a result of the moving rod as a whole?

"Noticeable" is a somewhat subjective term, but measurable, yes. As a matter of fact if you were to spin such a rod around you would create an electromagnetic field that would propagate through space (it might be very small, yet measurable with instrumentation, if the instrumentation was close to it). But it wouldn't be a constant magnetic field, rather it would be oscillating. In other words, you couldn't use it like you would a bar magnet.

dubvmet said:

Since it's a thought experiment, let's think about it!

This is a very interesting question because it is an electrostatic analogy to the old magnetic one asked by Faraday: Does a magnetic field rotate with a magnet? In this case we know that if we charge a metal rod the charge redistributes itself to the outside of the object. We also know from symmetry that the electric field about the rod has axial symmetry. So that if you rotate the rod, the mathematical description of the static electric field stays the same. So that raises a question: Does the electric field rotate about a rotating charged rod? Interesting!

But then for a rotating METAL rod one must ask one more question: Does the charge on the outside of the rod rotate with the rod if you spin it. If it does, then that clearly defines a current and current clearly creates a magnetic field. Hence it would appear that if one had an INSULATOR rod that a magnetic field would ensue. But a metal one is a different thing in that the charge is free to a degree to travel about the outside of the rod. Thus there exists a thing known as "relaxation time" which is a measure of how fast charge moves on a metal rod. So now it seems part of the answer involves how FAST we are spinning the rod. And the final consideration would be exactly WHAT would produce a dragging force on the charges keeping them from spinning with the rod. The answer would seem to be that their fields (even going to infinity) provide an attractive force to something. The idea is obvious if you consider a coaxial capacitor with the center terminal spinning.

So as I see it, this is an interesting question but there seems to be no easy answer except under certain conditions.

And let me note that when you have relative motion between frames there are created apparent magnetic and electric fields just from that motion! Even "neutral currents" (equal + and - charges moving in opposite directions giving no net total charge can) create electric fields when in motion. Nothing is ever quite as simple as it seems!

Related to Magnetic field of a charged rod

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where magnetic forces can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as those found in magnets or electric currents.

2. How is the magnetic field of a charged rod calculated?

The magnetic field of a charged rod can be calculated using the formula B = μ0I/2πr, where B is the magnetic field strength, μ0 is the permeability of free space, I is the current in the rod, and r is the distance from the rod.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field of a charged rod?

The strength of the magnetic field of a charged rod is affected by the magnitude of the current flowing through the rod, the distance from the rod, and the permeability of the material surrounding the rod.

4. How does the direction of the current in a charged rod affect its magnetic field?

The direction of the current in a charged rod determines the direction of the magnetic field. If the current is flowing in the same direction as the observer's thumb when the fingers wrap around the rod, the magnetic field will point in the direction of the observer's curled fingers.

5. What are some real-life applications of the magnetic field of a charged rod?

The magnetic field of a charged rod has many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, and transformers. It is also used in medical imaging, such as MRI machines, and in particle accelerators in scientific research.