Magnetic field inside a vortex.

In summary, a vortex is a swirling mass of air or liquid that creates a low-pressure area in the center. It is often seen in nature, such as in tornadoes and whirlpools. The magnetic field inside a vortex is created by the flow of charged particles, which results in a cylindrical shape with helical field lines. A vortex can have multiple magnetic fields if there are multiple sources of charged particles, resulting in complex patterns. The strength of the magnetic field inside a vortex is determined by factors such as particle velocity and density, vortex size, and external magnetic field strength. Generally, the closer to the center of the vortex, the stronger the magnetic field will be.
nbo10
Hi all,
I have a dumb question on the field inside of a vortex. A simple claculation using the magnetic flux quantum and estimating the vortex size to be 10-35nm. You get a magnetic field value of ~6.5-0.3 T. Which at first thought seems strange, maybe I'm not thinking of something correctly. Does anyone have any thoughts?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vortex fields of the order of a few tesla seem to be right. What's the problem with it ?

The number seems large. I think I would have remember values that large from muon spin measurements.

Related to Magnetic field inside a vortex.

What is a vortex?

A vortex is a swirling mass of air or liquid that creates a low-pressure area in the center. It is a common occurrence in nature, such as in tornadoes, hurricanes, and whirlpools.

How is a magnetic field created inside a vortex?

A magnetic field inside a vortex is created by the flow of charged particles, such as ions or electrons, along the vortex's path. These charged particles create a current, which in turn generates a magnetic field.

What is the shape of the magnetic field inside a vortex?

The shape of the magnetic field inside a vortex is typically cylindrical, with the field lines wrapping around the center of the vortex in a helical pattern.

Can a vortex have multiple magnetic fields?

Yes, a vortex can have multiple magnetic fields if there are multiple sources of charged particles moving within the vortex. This can result in complex and varying magnetic field patterns.

How does the strength of the magnetic field inside a vortex vary?

The strength of the magnetic field inside a vortex is dependent on several factors, including the velocity and density of the charged particles, the size of the vortex, and the strength of the external magnetic field. Generally, the closer to the center of the vortex, the stronger the magnetic field will be.