Magnetic field in rectangular coil (not solenoid) Amperes law

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of the magnetic field inside a rectangular coil with a tightly wrapped wire. The speaker is confused about whether to use the same approach as for a solenoid or to divide the wire into individual cases. It is stated that the result will be the same as for a solenoid if the length of the coil is much greater than its width, as this allows for the assumption that the magnetic field inside the element is only in the direction of its length. The conversation ends with the speaker thanking for the clarification.
LambertoPierto

Homework Statement

I have a rectangular coil with length L and the cross-section's sides has length a and b (b>a). A wire is tightly wrapped around N times. Calculate the magnetic field inside the coil.

Homework Equations

The problem I have is that in class we were taught how to calculate the magnetic field for a solenoid were the diameter is much smaller than the length of the soleind, making the magnetic field inside almost constant. We used Ampere's law. Since I now have a rectangular coil I'm confused.

The Attempt at a Solution

If I were to use the same approach as for a solenoid I would draw a rectangular path parallell to the magnetic field inside the coil. I would traverse the path counterclockwise and everytime I wire passes through my rectangular loop I would add the magnetic field times the length of the side parallell to the magnetic field. If I then would go on the result would be the same as for the solenoid, that can't be right?

But then again, if I divide every loop of the wire around the coil into indivdiual cases and then add up all the N loops. Then I could safely assume that the magnetic field is constant right!? And if I proceeded with making a rectangular path and calcualte the magnetic field using Ampere's law. Wouldn't I just end up with the same result as for the soleind? But then why were the professor implying so strongly that the solenoid had to have a small diameter. Aswell dose the length of the sides, a and be, truly not contribute? I would highly appreciate any nod in the right direction for solving this!

Physics news on Phys.org
yes the result will come out to be same as that in case of solenoid provided the length of rectangular coil is >> than width of rectangular coil.

this >> condition is needed in both the case (ie rectangular coil case and solenoid case) since this is the condition which allows us to assume that magnetic field inside the element is only in direction of length of element. In reality, the magnetic field at the edges is little towards outward away from center.

solenoid.png

Likes LambertoPierto
mukul said:
yes the result will come out to be same as that in case of solenoid provided the length of rectangular coil is >> than width of rectangular coil.

this >> condition is needed in both the case (ie rectangular coil case and solenoid case) since this is the condition which allows us to assume that magnetic field inside the element is only in direction of length of element. In reality, the magnetic field at the edges is little towards outward away from center.

View attachment 97571

Thank you!

LambertoPierto said:
Thank you!
Did I answer your question completely?

Related to Magnetic field in rectangular coil (not solenoid) Amperes law

What is a rectangular coil and how does it differ from a solenoid?

A rectangular coil is a type of electromagnetic coil that has a rectangular shape, as opposed to a solenoid which has a cylindrical shape. The main difference between the two is their magnetic field orientation - a rectangular coil produces a magnetic field that is perpendicular to the plane of the coil, while a solenoid produces a magnetic field that is parallel to the axis of the coil.

How is Amperes law applied to a rectangular coil?

Amperes law states that the line integral of the magnetic field around a closed loop is equal to the current passing through the loop. In the case of a rectangular coil, this means that the magnetic field strength can be determined by integrating the current passing through the coil over the area enclosed by the loop.

What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in a rectangular coil?

The strength of the magnetic field in a rectangular coil is affected by several factors, including the number of turns in the coil, the current passing through the coil, the size and shape of the coil, and the material of the coil. Additionally, the distance from the coil to the point where the magnetic field is being measured also plays a role.

How is the direction of the magnetic field in a rectangular coil determined?

The direction of the magnetic field in a rectangular coil is determined by the right-hand rule. If the fingers of the right hand curl in the direction of the current passing through the coil, then the thumb will point in the direction of the magnetic field lines.

What are some real-world applications of rectangular coils?

Rectangular coils are commonly used in various electronic devices, such as motors, generators, and transformers. They are also used in scientific research, such as in particle accelerators and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. Additionally, rectangular coils can be found in everyday items like speakers and headphones.