Magnetic field in plane of ring, outside (verify please?)

In summary, the magnetic field on point P is B= -2irR(sin theta)-ln(r(cos theta)-iR(x-a)+r(sin ax)+iR(x-r sin theta))
Nick89
Hi,

I was hoping someone can verify this for me.

In uni today we had to calculate the magnetic field of a ring of current, lying in the xy-plane. First we had to calculate it on the z-axis (perpendicular to the ring) which was easy.
Then we had to calculate it on the y-axis (in the plane of the ring, outside of the ring). Because this was apparently too hard however, we had to 'simplify' the ring into a square, which made the calculation almost childlishly easy...

I was wondering now why they thought it was so hard... I tried to calculate it with an actual ring and the only difficulty I had was to calculate the integral, which was pretty ugly when calculated with Maple...

If someone can verify my calculation for me please that would be great.

Consider the following diagram, a loop (blue) with radius R lying in the xy-plane with a current I traveling in the direction of the vector dl.
2wdtwua.jpg

I want to calculate the magnetic field on the point P lying on the x-axis, a distance x from the origin, using Biot-Savart's law:
[tex]d \vec{B} = \frac{ \mu_0 }{4 \pi} \frac{I d\vec{l} \times \hat{r}}{r^2}[/tex] where [itex]\hat{r}[/itex] is the direction of [itex]\vec{r}[/itex].

Since [itex]r[/itex] is dependend on [itex]\theta[/itex], I have to find a way to link them.

What I did was:
[tex]a = R \sin\theta \text{ , } b = R \cos\theta[/tex]
[tex]r^2 = b^2 + (x-a)^2 = (R \cos\theta)^2 + (x - R\sin\theta)^2[/tex]

Finally, (the part where I'm not entirly sure), I figured [itex]dl = R d\theta[/itex] for a small angle [itex]d\theta[/itex].

This finally yields (the direction is obvious):
[tex]B = \frac{ \mu_0 I}{4 \pi} \int_0^{2 \pi} \frac{ R d\theta }{(R \cos\theta)^2 + (x - R\sin\theta)^2}[/tex]

For the integral, I didn't even try to do it manually but had Maple do it. The answer was:
[tex]\int_0^{2 \pi} \frac{ R d\theta }{(R \cos\theta)^2 + (x - R\sin\theta)^2}=-2\,iR \left( \ln \left( {\frac {i \left( {x}^{2}+{R}^{2} \right) }{-
{x}^{2}+{R}^{2}}} \right) -\ln \left( {\frac {-i \left( {x}^{2}+{R}^{
2} \right) }{-{x}^{2}+{R}^{2}}} \right) \right) \left( -{x}^{2}+{R}^
{2} \right) ^{-1}[/tex]
(Yikes...)

Am I right on this? If so, I can't understand why we had to imagine the ring as a square (apart from the horrible integral)... It made the calculation completely different (upper and lower portion of the square cancel, remaining two lines are simply two lines, add up the fields...)
And we get horrible integrals all the time, the question just states that we don't have to calculate it then...

So yeah, thanks if anyone can verify or tell me where I went wrong!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have to include the sine of the angle between r and dl in the cross product.

You're right, they're not always perpendicular, completely forgot about that!

So how could I find the angle?

Use either trig or cartesian coords.

Related to Magnetic field in plane of ring, outside (verify please?)

1. What is the "magnetic field in plane of ring"?

The magnetic field in plane of ring refers to the magnetic field that is generated by a current-carrying ring in the same plane as the ring. It is a vector field, meaning it has both magnitude and direction, and is produced by the movement of charged particles in the ring.

2. What do you mean by "outside" in relation to the magnetic field in plane of ring?

In this context, "outside" refers to a point or region that is located outside of the ring. It is important to specify the location in order to accurately calculate and understand the magnetic field at a specific point.

3. How is the magnetic field in plane of ring calculated?

The magnetic field in plane of ring can be calculated using the Biot-Savart law, which states that the magnetic field at a point is directly proportional to the current, the perpendicular distance from the point to the current, and the sine of the angle between the current and the point. It can also be calculated using Ampere's law, which relates the magnetic field to the current enclosed by a closed loop.

4. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field in plane of ring?

The strength of the magnetic field in plane of ring is affected by several factors, including the current in the ring, the distance from the ring, the angle between the point and the ring, and the size and shape of the ring. Additionally, the presence of other magnetic fields and materials can also impact the strength of the magnetic field.

5. Why is it important to verify the magnetic field outside the plane of ring?

Verifying the magnetic field outside the plane of ring is important because it allows us to confirm the accuracy of our calculations and understand the behavior of the magnetic field at different points. It also helps us to make predictions and design systems that utilize the magnetic field in a controlled manner.