Magnetic field from the displacement current of a charging sphere

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving a conducting sphere being charged through a straight wire. The displacement current and magnetic field are calculated using specific equations and the question pertains to the disappearance of a factor in the given solution. The answer is eventually found to be B = (1-cosθ)I/(crsinθ), with the factor disappearing due to the calculation of the displacement current density and enclosed current.
eko_n2

Homework Statement

The problem is #1 given here:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-311-electromagnetic-theory-spring-2004/assignments/ps1.pdf
And there is a solution publicly available here:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/8-311-electromagnetic-theory-spring-2004/assignments/solution1.pdf

In short, a conducting sphere is being charged through a straight wire with given current I. You are asked to find the displacement current, and finally the magnetic field.

My question pertains to finding the magnetic field - I don't understand how the displacement current was used to find the magnetic field.

Homework Equations

The displacement current was found to be:

[tex] j_d = \frac{I}{4 \pi r^2} \hat{r} [/tex]

To find the magnetic field, use

[tex] \int B \cdot dl = \frac{4\pi}{c} \int j \cdot \hat{n} dA[/tex]

where j is the current density and n is the unit vector normal to the surface.

The Attempt at a Solution

For the contour, we consider a loop about the axis of the wire (there is a figure in the solutions). The distance from the center of the sphere to the loop is r. The angle between the loop and the axis of the wire is θ.

On the left hand side, we thus have

[tex] \int B \cdot dl = 2 \pi r \sin{(\theta)} B [/tex]

The surface we are using for the right hand side is a section of a sphere of radius [tex]r[/tex]. So we need to integrate the displacement current (since there is no actual current through this surface, only displacement) over this region:

[tex] \frac{4\pi}{c} \int j \cdot \hat{n} dA = \frac{4\pi}{c} \int_0^{2\pi} d\phi \int_0^{\theta'} d\theta \sin{\theta} \frac{I}{4 \pi r^2} \hat{r} \cdot \hat{r} [/tex]

[tex] = \frac{2\pi I}{c r^2} (1-\cos \theta)[/tex]

Combine this with the left hand side from above:

[tex] 2 \pi r \sin{(\theta)} B = \frac{2\pi I}{c r^2} (1-\cos \theta)[/tex]
[tex] B = \frac{I}{c r^3 \sin{\theta}} (1-\cos \theta)[/tex]

Finally, the question: why is the answer in the solutions given off by a factor [tex] r^2 [/tex]? Why does this factor from the displacement current disappear in the worked solutions?

Thanks for the help

Edit: the given solution is
[tex] B = \frac{(1-\cos \theta) I}{cr \sin \theta} [/tex]

Physics news on Phys.org
Solved, [tex] j_d = I_d / 4\pi r^2 [/tex] is the displacement current density - the enclosed current is clearly [tex] I_d [/tex]...

Related to Magnetic field from the displacement current of a charging sphere

1. What is a displacement current?

A displacement current is a type of electric current that is created when the electric field within a region changes over time. It is not a flow of charge, but rather a changing electric field that induces a magnetic field.

2. How is a displacement current different from a conduction current?

A conduction current is a flow of charge through a conductor, while a displacement current is a changing electric field that creates a magnetic field. In other words, a displacement current does not involve the actual movement of charges, but rather the changing of electric fields.

3. How is a magnetic field created by a displacement current?

A magnetic field is created by a displacement current through the same mechanism as a magnetic field is created by a conduction current. In both cases, the changing electric field induces a magnetic field according to the principles of electromagnetism.

4. What is the significance of a charging sphere in relation to a displacement current?

A charging sphere is often used as an example to demonstrate the concept of a displacement current. As the electric field within the sphere changes while it is being charged, a displacement current is created, resulting in a magnetic field around the sphere.

5. How does the magnetic field from a displacement current affect the charging sphere?

The magnetic field from a displacement current does not directly affect the charging sphere. However, the changing magnetic field can induce an electric field within the sphere, which can have an impact on the charging process. This phenomenon is known as electromagnetic induction.