Magnetic field from conducting pipe

In summary: Also, your latex looks pretty good, but I think your parentheses may be causing some confusion. Be sure to use the \left( and \right) commands to make sure the parentheses are the same size as the equation inside.In summary, the question asked for the magnetic flux density at distances of 5mm, 10mm, and 15mm from the axis of a long, straight copper pipe carrying a current of 100A. The textbook answer of 0 for 5mm is correct if the distances are measured from the axis of the pipe. The correct answer for 10mm and 15mm can be found using Ampere's Law and the uniformity of current density. However, there may be a mistake in
sarahgarden

Homework Statement

A long, straight copper pipe of inner diameter 16mm and outer diameter 24mm carries a current of 100A. Calculate the magnetic flux density at distances i)5mm, ii)10mm and iii)15mm from its axis?

Answer : i)0, ii)9*10^-4T iii) 13.3*10^-4T

Homework Equations

I thought it would be B=mu_0*I/(2pi)r
It does in fact say this in my notes.
Also I get i) resulting in 0, if it's taken from line through middle of pipe (it irked me then that ii) had a value) but axis is used here and in my textbook differently - to mean off the surface of the pipe.

Your help is much appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
EDIT:
Your textbook is a bit confusing, do they want the magnetic field at distances of 5, 10 and 15 mm from the axis of the wire, or from its outer surface, or inner surface?

If they mean from the axis, then the answer is 0 across the board, see the reasoning below.

Two assumptions are necessary to solve this problem, the first is that of symmetry, which is pretty straightforward, and the other is that the current density in the wire is uniform.

Use Ampere's Law and the uniformity of how the current is spread out across the cross section of the wire to find the magnetic field there.

The radial distance you see in your equation refers to a circle arranged around the axis of the cylinder, not the distance from the surface of the pipe.

Ampere's Law:

[tex]\oint \vec B \cdot \vec d\ell = \mu_0 I_{penetrating}[/tex]

What Ampere's Law means is that the closed line integral of the B field around any path, is proportional to the current that penetrates through any surface attached to that path.

For instance, for a single straight wire, we can assume radial symmetry. Taking our closed path as a circle around the axis of the wire, we can take B to be a constant, and always in the direction of the path, so the closed path integral is just the value of B times the length of the path, the circumference of the circle.
[tex]\oint \vec B \cdot d\ell = B\cdot2\pi r[/tex]

Taking the simplest surface attached to this loop, we see that our wire penetrates it. So the current, I, in the wire penetrates the surface.

Therefore [tex]B\cdot 2\pi r = \mu_0 I[/tex]

[tex]B=\frac{\mu_0 I}{2\pi} \frac{1}{r}[/tex]

Now apply Ampere's Law and see what current penetrates through a surface attached to a loop through the volume of the pipe!

RoyalCat said:
EDIT:
Your textbook is a bit confusing, do they want the magnetic field at distances of 5, 10 and 15 mm from the axis of the wire, or from its outer surface, or inner surface?

If they mean from the axis, then the answer is 0 across the board, see the reasoning below.

Actually, their answers are correct. Note that the pipe specifications are for diameter and not radius. The radii of 5 mm, 10 mm and 15 mm place the points of interest inside the pipe, within the pipe and outside the pipe, respectively.

Good explanation though.

In a nutshell, due to symmetry and the static version of Ampere's law, the current outside the radius of interest contributes nothing to the magnetic field. The current inside the radius of interest behaves like an infinitely long and infinitely thin wire, on the central axis with the same current flow (as within the radius).

Thankyou both very much for your help.

Note that the pipe specifications are for diameter and not radius.

Yikes! I'm embarassed about that. It must seem like I didn't spend long thinking about it but really I never think to re-read a question. I'm just surprised I didn't notice when I was typing it out.

For 10mm from centre, I got the answer but not the way I expected to. The following is how I expected to get my answer;

a is outer radius (12mm), b is inner (8mm).

[tex](a)\gg(r)\gg(b)[/tex]?

[tex]cross-sectional area=\pi(a^2-b^2)[/tex]

[tex]J=\frac{I}{\pi(a^2-b^2)}[/tex]

[tex]I_{enc}=J\times\pi(r^2-b^2)[/tex]

so

[tex]B=\frac{\mu_{0}I(r^2-b^2)}{(a^2-b^2)}[/tex]

[tex]=5.7\times10^-5T[/tex]

I got the correct answer for parts ii) and iii) using simply

[tex]B=\frac{\mu_{0}I}{2\pi\cdot(r)}[/tex]

Why isn't it the way I showed above for part ii), when r is a distance inbetween b and a?

Thankyou.

P.S. How is my Latex looking?

Last edited:
sarahgarden said:
Why isn't it the way I showed above for part ii), when r is a distance inbetween b and a?

I think your method is correct, but double check your derivation. Just looking quickly, there may be a mistake in there.

Related to Magnetic field from conducting pipe

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an invisible area around a magnet or electric current where magnetic forces can be felt. It is created by moving electrical charges and is responsible for the attraction or repulsion of magnetic materials.

2. How does a conducting pipe create a magnetic field?

When an electric current flows through a conducting pipe, it creates a circular magnetic field around the pipe. This is due to the movement of electrons, which are negatively charged particles, in the pipe.

3. What factors affect the strength of the magnetic field from a conducting pipe?

The strength of the magnetic field from a conducting pipe depends on the magnitude of the electric current flowing through the pipe, the distance from the pipe, and the material of the pipe. The larger the current and the closer the distance, the stronger the field will be. The material of the pipe can also affect the strength of the field as different materials have different levels of conductivity.

4. How can the direction of the magnetic field from a conducting pipe be determined?

The direction of the magnetic field from a conducting pipe can be determined using the right-hand rule. This rule states that if you point your thumb in the direction of the current flow, your fingers will curl in the direction of the magnetic field lines.

5. What are the practical applications of the magnetic field from a conducting pipe?

The magnetic field from a conducting pipe has various practical applications, including electromagnets used in electric motors, generators, and MRI machines. It is also used in magnetic levitation technology and in particle accelerators. Additionally, the Earth's magnetic field is created by the movement of molten iron in its core, which acts as a giant conducting pipe.