Magnetic field expansion in cylindrical coordinate

Thank you for your question and for being a part of our forum community.In summary, the "-1/4 B'' r^2" term is included in the Taylor expansion for the magnetic field in just the z direction to account for the difference between the z and theta components of the magnetic field and maintain the consistency of the magnetic field equations. This is necessary to satisfy the relationship between the z and theta components of the field in a cylindrical coordinate system.
demon_samuel

Homework Statement

Dear all, i am figuring the taylor expansion for magnetic field in cylindrical coordinate (r,theta,z). The taylor expansion is simple, however if i want to express the magnetic field in just z direction, i don't know to start. It is because i seen some books written:

Bz = Bo + B' z + 1/2B'' z^2 - 1/4 B'' r^2 +... , where B' = partial Bz respect to z
B'' = second partial Bz respect to z

I couldn't figure out why the '-1/4 B'' r^2' term is here.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry that i could not how to start, so i just can show my work on the the taylor series of Bz = Bo + B' z + B''z^2/2! +B''' z^3/3! +...
And i know that if the magnetic field is cylindrical , the curl and div of B is zero, and i get the relationship that

1/r partial (rB_r) respect to r + 1/r partial (B_theta) respect to theta + partial (B_z) respect to z = 0 --- (1) (from div B=0) AND
1/r partial (B_z) respect to theta = partial (B_theta) respect to z --- (2) (from curl B= 0) AND
partial (B_r) respect to z = partial (B_z) respect to r --- (3) (from curl B= 0) AND
partial (rB_theta) respect to r = partial (B_r) respect to theta --- (4) (from curl B= 0)

Can anyone help me and give me some ideas? Thank you for your help and attention.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for sharing your work on the Taylor expansion for magnetic field in cylindrical coordinates. It seems like you have a good understanding of the mathematical relationships involved. To answer your question about the "-1/4 B'' r^2" term, let's take a closer look at the equations you have listed.

Equation (1) represents the divergence of the magnetic field, which must be zero in a cylindrical coordinate system. Equation (2) represents the relationship between the z and theta components of the magnetic field, and equation (3) represents the relationship between the r and z components. Finally, equation (4) represents the relationship between the r and theta components.

Now, let's consider the Taylor expansion for the magnetic field in just the z direction. This would be equivalent to setting all other components (r and theta) to zero. In this case, equations (1), (3), and (4) would all be satisfied, but equation (2) would not. This is because the z component of the magnetic field is no longer equal to the theta component in this case.

To account for this discrepancy, we introduce the "-1/4 B'' r^2" term in the Taylor expansion. This term represents the difference between the z component and the theta component of the magnetic field, and it is necessary to satisfy equation (2) and maintain the overall consistency of the magnetic field equations.

I hope this helps to clarify why the "-1/4 B'' r^2" term is included in the Taylor expansion for the magnetic field in just the z direction. Keep up the good work on your research!

Related to Magnetic field expansion in cylindrical coordinate

1. What is a magnetic field expansion in cylindrical coordinates?

A magnetic field expansion in cylindrical coordinates is a mathematical representation of the magnetic field around a cylindrical object, such as a wire or a solenoid. It takes into account the cylindrical shape and symmetry of the object, and allows for a more accurate calculation of the magnetic field compared to using traditional Cartesian coordinates.

2. How is a magnetic field expansion in cylindrical coordinates different from Cartesian coordinates?

In Cartesian coordinates, the magnetic field is represented by three components: Bx, By, and Bz. In cylindrical coordinates, the magnetic field is represented by two components: Bρ and Bz. This is because the cylindrical coordinate system takes into account the radial distance (ρ) and the vertical distance (z) from the axis of the cylinder, while Cartesian coordinates only consider the x, y, and z directions.

3. What is the significance of a magnetic field expansion in cylindrical coordinates?

A magnetic field expansion in cylindrical coordinates is useful in studying the behavior of magnetic fields around cylindrical objects, which are commonly used in various electrical and electronic devices. It allows for a more accurate and efficient calculation of the magnetic field, which can aid in the design and optimization of these devices.

4. How is a magnetic field expansion in cylindrical coordinates derived?

A magnetic field expansion in cylindrical coordinates is derived using a mathematical technique called separation of variables. This involves breaking down the magnetic field equation into simpler components and solving for each component separately. The final solution is then obtained by combining these components using appropriate boundary conditions.

5. What are some applications of magnetic field expansion in cylindrical coordinates?

Magnetic field expansion in cylindrical coordinates has many practical applications, such as in the design of electromagnets, transformers, and electric motors. It is also used in the study of plasma physics and astrophysics, as well as in medical imaging techniques such as magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).