Magnetic Field due to Power Lines

In summary, the conversation discusses estimating the maximum magnetic field experienced walking under a power line and comparing it to the Earth's field. The equations used include B = (μ0I0)/(2πr), Pmax = V0I0, and V0 = √2Vrms. After calculating V0 and I0, the magnetic field is found using the first equation with a r value of 25 m. The issue of using Pmax instead of Prms is also addressed.
pssss

Homework Statement

You want to get an idea of the magnitude of magnetic fields produced by overhead power lines. You estimate that a transmission wire is about 25 m above the ground. The local power company tells you that the line operates a 12 kV and provide a maximum of 47 MW to the local area. Estimate the maximum magnetic field you might experience walking under such a power line, and compare to the Earth's field. [For an ac current, values are rms, and the magnetic field will be changing. Let the Earth's magnetic field strength be 5.0 10-5 T.]

Homework Equations

[tex]
\\B = \frac{\mu_{0}I_{0}} {2 \Pi r}
[/tex]
[tex]
\\P_{max} = V_{0}I_{0}
[/tex]
[tex]
\\V_{0} = \sqrt{2}V_{rms}
[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex]
\\V_{0} = 12000\sqrt{2} = 16970 V \\
[/tex]
[tex]
\\I_{0} = \frac{P_{max}}{V_{0}}= \frac{(47 * 10^6)}{16970} = 2769.6 A \\
[/tex]

Then, the current value is plugged into the equation of a magnetic field due to a wire with r equal to 25 m. All of this seems correct, but I continue to get the problem wrong. Does anyone see where I am tripping up here?

P.S. The very first equation is supposed to be divided by 2PIr, but I cannot get latex to show this for whatever reason...

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't think they mean that P_max is the power delivered during the maximum voltage of an AC cycle. P_max is the rms power delivered during maximum load.

So [tex] P_{max} = 47 MW = V_{rms} * I_{rms} [/tex]

Then [tex] I_0 = \sqrt {2} I_{rms} [/tex]

Ahhhhh, okay. Yea, that fixed it. Thanks a lot!

Related to Magnetic Field due to Power Lines

What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a physical phenomenon that is created by moving electric charges. It is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected and is typically represented by magnetic field lines.

How do power lines create a magnetic field?

Power lines are used to transmit electricity, which is made up of moving electric charges. As the charges move through the power lines, they create a magnetic field around the lines.

Is exposure to magnetic fields from power lines harmful?

There is ongoing research and debate about the potential health effects of exposure to magnetic fields from power lines. Some studies have shown a possible link to increased risk of certain health issues, while others have not found a significant association. The World Health Organization and other health organizations continue to monitor and evaluate the research on this topic.

What factors affect the strength of a magnetic field from power lines?

The strength of a magnetic field from power lines depends on several factors, including the amount of current flowing through the power lines, the distance from the power lines, and the configuration and design of the power lines. Higher currents and closer distances will result in a stronger magnetic field.

How can the effects of magnetic fields from power lines be mitigated?

There are a few ways to reduce exposure to magnetic fields from power lines, such as increasing the distance from the power lines, using shielding materials, and designing power lines to reduce the amount of current they carry. However, it is important to note that the effectiveness of these mitigation measures is still being studied and may vary depending on the specific circumstances.