Magnetic Field and direct integration

In summary, the conversation discusses the direct integration method for showing that the force on an arbitrary current loop carrying a current i in a magnetic field B is equal to zero. It is noted that the loop does not need to lie in a plane. The integration variables dL and d(theta) are mentioned and there is a question about whether the magnetic field is constant. The use of Green's Theorem and the integral of a piecewise differentiable curve are also brought up.
stunner5000pt
By direct integration show that for any arbitrary loop carry a current i
[tex] F = \oint idL \cross B = 0 [/tex]
Note that an arbitrary current loop doesn ot need to lie in a plane
WEll since that is true then both dL and d(theta) are integration varaibles here
should something like this be formed?
[tex] B \int_{0}^{L} \int_{\theta_{1}}^{\theta_{2}} \sin(\theta)dL + L \cos(\theta) d\theta [/tex]
am i right? I m not sure about the limits of integration tho...

please advise

thank you

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Is the magnetic field constant? If so, doesn't the force on a closed loop equal
[tex]
\vec{F} = I \oint d\vec{\ell} \times \vec{B},
[/tex]
which reduces to
[tex]
\vec{F} =\left( I \oint d\vec{\ell} \right) \times \vec{B},
[/tex]
since the magnetic field is constant. What is
[tex]
\oint d\vec{\ell} \,\,?
[/tex]

Last edited:
[tex] \oint dL = 0 [/tex] because of Green's Theorem??

In my calc textbook it says that [tex]\int_{C} \nabla f = o [/tex] for any piecewise differentiable curve?

Last edited:

Related to Magnetic Field and direct integration

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is an area around a magnet or electric current where the magnetic force can be felt. This force can act on other magnets or moving charged particles.

2. How is a magnetic field created?

A magnetic field is created when electric charges move. These charges can be found in the form of electrons in atoms or in electric currents.

3. How is the strength of a magnetic field measured?

The strength of a magnetic field is measured in units of tesla (T) or gauss (G). One tesla is equivalent to 10,000 gauss.

4. What is direct integration in relation to magnetic fields?

Direct integration is a mathematical method used to calculate the magnetic field strength at a specific point in space. It involves summing up the contributions of small magnetic elements along a path to determine the total field strength at a given point.

5. How are magnetic fields used in everyday life?

Magnetic fields have a wide range of applications in our daily lives. They are used in the production of electricity, in medical imaging equipment such as MRI machines, in speakers and headphones, and in many other technologies.