Magnetic dipole moment derivation

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Taylor polynomials to approximate 1/R in the forms of equations provided. The conversation also mentions the substitution of variables and the application of Taylor expansion to truncate the third term. Finally, the conversation suggests looking up examples of Taylor series to better understand the process.
kidsasd987
mdp3.png
(2)

Hi. I am having a problem with understanding how to approximate 1/R in the forms of equations written above.

I took this equations from a blog, and it tells that I can use talyor polynomial. but I don't get there somehow.

Physics news on Phys.org
$$
\sqrt{(x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+z^2} \approx \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2-2xx'-2yy'}
$$
where the terms square in ##x'## and ##y'## have been omitted. Then make substitution ##r^2 = x^2+y^2+z^2##,
$$
r\sqrt{1-2\frac{x}{r^2}x'-2\frac{y}{r^2}y'}
$$
and apply Taylor expansion truncating the third term.

blue_leaf77 said:
$$
\sqrt{(x-x')^2+(y-y')^2+z^2} \approx \sqrt{x^2+y^2+z^2-2xx'-2yy'}
$$
where the terms square in ##x'## and ##y'## have been omitted. Then make substitution ##r^2 = x^2+y^2+z^2##,
$$
r\sqrt{1-2\frac{x}{r^2}x'-2\frac{y}{r^2}y'}
$$
and apply Taylor expansion truncating the third term.

Hello, I am really sorry but could you provide me the taylor expansion of it?

To simplify the appearance, you can make the substitution ##-2\frac{x}{r^2}x'-2\frac{y}{r^2}y' = u## so that
$$
r\sqrt{1-2\frac{x}{r^2}x'-2\frac{y}{r^2}y'} = r(1+u)^p
$$
where ##p=1/2##. Now look up online or in your textbook examples of Taylor series, especially the series which corresponds to a form ##(1+u)^p## with ##|u|<1## as is the case here.

Likes kidsasd987
blue_leaf77 said:
To simplify the appearance, you can make the substitution ##-2\frac{x}{r^2}x'-2\frac{y}{r^2}y' = u## so that
$$
r\sqrt{1-2\frac{x}{r^2}x'-2\frac{y}{r^2}y'} = r(1+u)^p
$$
where ##p=1/2##. Now look up online or in your textbook examples of Taylor series, especially the series which corresponds to a form ##(1+u)^p## with ##|u|<1## as is the case here.
Thanks. I got it!

Related to Magnetic dipole moment derivation

What is a magnetic dipole moment?

A magnetic dipole moment is a measure of the strength and direction of a magnetic dipole, which is a small magnet with a north and south pole. It is a vector quantity and is represented by the symbol μ.

How is magnetic dipole moment calculated?

The magnetic dipole moment is calculated by multiplying the strength of the magnetic pole (m) by the distance between the poles (d). This can be written as μ = m x d.

What are some real-life examples of magnetic dipole moment?

Some examples of magnetic dipole moments include the Earth's magnetic field, bar magnets, and compass needles. It is also seen in particles with spin, such as electrons and protons.

What is the significance of magnetic dipole moment in physics?

Magnetic dipole moment plays an important role in understanding electromagnetism and the behavior of magnetic materials. It is used in various fields such as engineering, geology, and astrophysics to study the properties and interactions of magnetic fields.

What is the difference between magnetic dipole moment and electric dipole moment?

Magnetic dipole moment is a measure of the strength and direction of a magnetic dipole, while electric dipole moment is a measure of the strength and direction of an electric dipole. They both involve the concept of poles, but magnetic poles are always found in pairs while electric poles can exist in isolation.