Magnetic circuits and Magnetization

In summary: I hope you now have a good understanding.In summary, when attempting to magnetize a magnet, it is best to have a closed magnetic circuit with no air gaps as these can weaken the B-field, which is directly proportional to the H-field and inversely proportional to the permeance. Adding a keeper to connect the poles of the magnet can increase its magnetization, regardless of the placement of a small coil with the same ampere-turn. The permeance, which can be compared to electric conductivity, decreases at the saturation point of the material, resulting in an increase in reluctance. The magnetization strength is directly proportional to the B-field and the surface inside the magnetization target. In practice, both the H-field and B-field are
Fededevi
From my little understanding of magnetism and the magnetization process, in order to magnetize a magnet it is better to have a closed magnetic circuit. But how does an air gap affects the magnetization "strength"?Example: Assume that we have a unmagnetized horsehoe magnet with a coil around it for the whole length with a constant current flowing and constrant "coil/length ratio". Will the magnet get more magnetized if we add a keeper to connect the poles?

And another example, this time with a small coil (same ampere-turn) in the center of the magnet, how will the keeper affect the magnetization process? And how will this compare to the previous example?

I know the question probably requires a better understanding of magnetism in general but I would be glad to find someone able to explain it to me.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Fededevi said:
how does an air gap affects the magnetization "strength"?
A magnetic field consists of two fields:

The H-field ( the magnetic field strength ) which may be compared to electric voltage.

The B-field ( the magnetic induction ) which may be compared to electric current density.

The relation between these two fields is: B = μ*H , where μ is the permeance ( may be compared to electric conductivity ).

An airgap has a low permeance, thus it weakens the B-field ( like a resistor weakens the current ). If you have an electric circuit supplied by 10V and there is a tiny resistance in the circuit, say 0.001Ω, the current will be V/R = 10V / 0.001Ω = 10000A. Likewise you will get a strong B-field if your magnetic circuit has a high permeance ( no airgap ). The permeance is a factor ≈ 1000 greater in iron than in air/vacuum.
Fededevi said:
Will the magnet get more magnetized if we add a keeper to connect the poles?
Yes.
Fededevi said:
with a small coil (same ampere-turn) in the center of the magnet, how will the keeper affect the magnetization process? And how will this compare to the previous example?
Likewise, no difference. It doen't matter where the coil is placed in the magnetic circuit. You can wind it around the keeper, if you like. A magnetic field is a closed circulating field, no beginning, no end.

Likes Merlin3189 and Fededevi
Thankyou very much for your answer, can you check those concepts for correctness:

1. The H-field is directly proportional to the ampere-turns of the coil.
  2. The B-Field is directly proportional to the H-Field and inveresely proportional to the permeance.
  3. Permeance is like the inverse of the resistance of an electric circuit, (reluctance).
  4. Reluctances adds up for the length of the magnetic circuit so a tiny 1mm air "circuit" is like ≈1m of iron "circuit".
  5. Reluctance of any material becomes high when the B-field reach the saturation level of that material.(?) At that point the B-Field will increase slowly and will expand outside the magnetic circuit.(?)
  6. The "magnetization strength" is directly proportional to the B-Field/surface inside the magnetization target.(?)
Bear with me and my terminology.

Fededevi said:
  • The H-field is directly proportional to the ampere-turns of the coil and inveresely proportional to the length of the circulation path.
  • The B-Field is directly proportional to the H-Field and inveresely proportional to the permeance. ( B = μ * H ).
  • Permeance is like the inverse of the resistance of an electric circuit, (reluctance).
  • Reluctances adds up for the length of the magnetic circuit so a tiny 1mm air "circuit" is like ≈1m of iron "circuit".
  • Reluctance of any material becomes high low when the B-field reach the saturation level of that material.(?) At that point the B-Field will increase slowly and will expand outside the magnetic circuit.(?) ( The B-field will increase slowly because μ decreases ).
  • The "magnetization strength" is directly proportional to the B-Field/surface inside the magnetization target.(?) ( What do you mean ? )
Right - wrong - added by me.

Likes Fededevi
Thank you again for your patience:
  • The B-Field is directly proportioal to the H-Field and directly proportional to the permeance. ( B = μ * H ).
(this makes perfect sense indeed, I messed up while writing the post )

• Reluctance of any material becomes low when the B-field reach the saturation level of that material.
(I do not understand this, why is reluctance decreasing when the path is saturated? )​
  • The "magnetization strength" is directly proportional to the B-Field/surface inside the magnetization target.(?) ( What do you mean ? )
Well that was a shot in the dark, I turn this into a question:
When you need to magnetize a permanent magnet in practice, what matters? The H-Field, The B-Field, something else?

Fededevi said:
(I do not understand this, why is reluctance decreasing when the path is saturated? )
Typical magnetizing curve:
mag19.gif

When the B-field closes up yo about 2 Tesla, the steepnes of the curve, which is μ, decreases.

μ = dB/dH
Fededevi said:
When you need to magnetize a permanent magnet in practice, what matters? The H-Field, The B-Field, something else?
To say that it's the B-field that matters is somehow too easy, because the B-field is a result of a H-field. Is the hen or the egg the first? Anyway, if you create a strong B-field through hard steel, It will be magnetized.

I will attach a link in a moment, concerning how to magnetize magnets.

Here it is:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/re-magnetized-alnico500-but-failed.836549/#post-5251785

Likes Fededevi
Thank you for your clarification.

I'm a bit confused with this statement:
  • Reluctance of any material becomes low when the B-field reach the saturation level of that material.
It's the permeance that equals dB/dH. So at saturation of B, the permeance(μ) reduces and reluctance increases since reluctance inverse of permeance.

Likes Merlin3189
jaus tail said:
It's the permeance that equals dB/dH. So at saturation of B, the permeance(μ) reduces and reluctance increases since reluctance inverse of permeance.
You are right. ( English is not my language ).

Related to Magnetic circuits and Magnetization

1. What is a magnetic circuit?

A magnetic circuit is a closed path or loop of material that allows for the flow of magnetic flux. It is typically made up of ferromagnetic materials, such as iron or steel, and is used to control the direction and strength of magnetic fields.

2. How does magnetization occur?

Magnetization occurs when the magnetic domains within a material align in the same direction, creating a magnetic field. This can be achieved through various methods, such as exposing the material to a magnetic field or subjecting it to high temperatures.

3. What is the difference between permanent magnets and electromagnets?

Permanent magnets are made from materials that are naturally magnetized and retain their magnetic properties without the need for an external power source. Electromagnets, on the other hand, are made by wrapping a coil of wire around a magnetic core and require an electric current to produce a magnetic field.

4. How does the shape of a magnetic circuit affect its performance?

The shape of a magnetic circuit can greatly impact its performance. A closed magnetic circuit with a short path and a large cross-sectional area will have a stronger magnetic field compared to a longer, more open circuit. The shape can also affect the direction and distribution of the magnetic field.

5. What is the importance of magnetic circuits in electronic devices?

Magnetic circuits are crucial in electronic devices as they allow for the control and manipulation of magnetic fields, which are used in various applications such as motors, generators, transformers, and data storage. They also help to ensure the efficient transfer of energy within these devices.