Magnetic Charge of Pennies: Experiments & Explanations

• Thread starter pattiecake
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Magnets
In summary, leaving a penny on a magnet for at least a few hours can cause it to gain a weak magnetic charge, allowing it to deflect a magnet when held near it. This is due to the nickel in the penny, which is a ferromagnetic metal. The atoms in the metal contain dipole attraction, and when exposed to an external magnetic field, they arrange into groups and create a magnetic field. This process can be sped up by shaking the penny, but caution should be taken as it is still money. Ultimately, there is no such thing as magnetic charge.
pattiecake
So a non-physicist posed a question to me the other day. He said that he heard something once that if two pennies are within close proximity of a magnet for at least a few hours, they gain some magnetic charge. When removed, they will slightly attract or repel one another.

So I tried it. I left a penny on a magnet for 48 hours. When I removed the penny, it was able to deflect a magnet when it was held near it.

Why does this happen?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hm, I never held a US penny in my hands and I don't know of what material it consists (well, to be honest I don't know this of our own coins). But I assume they are partly made of nickel which is a ferromagnetic metal. It can be thought of as many little "elementary magnets", but since they point at random directions, the whole penny isn't magnetic. Now, if there is an outer magnetic field, some of the elem. magnets are turned in direction of that field, and after it is gone, the penny has become a (weak) magnet himself. And: There is no such thing as magnetic charge.

That process goes faster if the penny is hit with a hammer or something (no idea how you would do that); when the elem. magnets are shaken around, they can turn more easily. But hey! be careful, it's money after all :)

The atoms of the metal contain dipole attraction. when they are left near a magnet the dipoles arange into groups creating a magnetic field.

Related to Magnetic Charge of Pennies: Experiments & Explanations

1. What is the magnetic charge of a penny?

The magnetic charge of a penny is zero. Pennies are not magnetic and do not have any inherent magnetic properties.

2. Can a penny be made magnetic?

Yes, a penny can be made magnetic through the process of electromagnetism. By running an electrical current through a coil of wire and placing a penny inside the coil, the magnetic field created by the current can induce a temporary magnetic charge in the penny.

3. What is the purpose of conducting experiments on the magnetic charge of pennies?

The purpose of these experiments is to demonstrate the principles of electromagnetism and how it can be used to manipulate the magnetic properties of certain objects, such as pennies. It also allows for a better understanding of how magnets and magnetic fields work.

4. How can the results of these experiments be explained?

The results of these experiments can be explained by the concept of electromagnetism. When an electrical current is passed through a coil of wire, it creates a magnetic field. This magnetic field can then interact with objects, such as pennies, and induce a temporary magnetic charge.

5. Are there any safety precautions that should be taken when conducting these experiments?

Yes, it is important to follow proper safety precautions when conducting experiments involving electricity and magnets. This includes wearing protective gear, using insulated wires, and being cautious when handling strong magnets. It is also recommended to have adult supervision when conducting these experiments.