Magnet with negative charge in gaussian surface?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking help with a specific question for an exam. They are wondering if a negative charge spread over a magnet would change the direction of the magnetic field. The answer is no, as a static charge does not affect the magnetic field.
marshmallow
i would really appreciate if someone could help me out with this one. i m preparing for an exam and this question is a question from papers of previous years and its bugging me because it seems very specific in that i can't seem to find anything like it in textbooks.

what i m mainly stuck on is if a negative charge is spread over the magnet does this mean the direction of the magnetic field reverses from north to south to south to north?

A bar magnet has been given a negative charge -Q, spread uniformly over the magnet.

the Gaussian cylinder shown at right with end caps A and C and a curved side B. the centre of cap A coincides with the centre of the bar magnet.

(a) is the total electric flux through the top end of the cap, A, positve, negative or zero?

(b) is the total electric flux through the entire gaussian surface, consisting of sides A,B, and C, positive, negative, or zero?

(c) is the total magnetic flux through the top end cap, A, positive, negative or zero?

(d) is the total magnetic flux through the entire gaussian surface, consisting of sides A, B, and C, positve, negative, or zero?

Attachments

• mg.jpg
    mg.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 386
Physics news on Phys.org
marshmallow said:
what i m mainly stuck on is if a negative charge is spread over the magnet does this mean the direction of the magnetic field reverses from north to south to south to north?
No. A static charge has no effect, whatsoever, on the magnetic field.

Related to Magnet with negative charge in gaussian surface?

1. What is a magnet with negative charge in a gaussian surface?

A magnet with negative charge in a gaussian surface refers to a magnet that has been placed inside a closed surface known as a gaussian surface. This surface is used in physics to simplify the calculation of the electric and magnetic fields of a charged object, and a magnet with negative charge inside this surface has its electric and magnetic fields cancelled out, making it a useful theoretical tool.

2. How does a magnet with negative charge behave in a gaussian surface?

In a gaussian surface, a magnet with negative charge behaves as if it has no charge at all. This is because the electric and magnetic fields of the magnet are cancelled out by the opposite charge on the surface of the gaussian surface. As a result, the magnet will not have any effect on the electric or magnetic fields outside of the surface.

3. What is the purpose of using a gaussian surface when studying a magnet with negative charge?

The purpose of using a gaussian surface when studying a magnet with negative charge is to simplify the calculations of the electric and magnetic fields. By using a closed surface, the electric and magnetic fields can be assumed to be constant and perpendicular to the surface, making it easier to analyze the behavior of the magnet and its effects on the surrounding fields.

4. Can a magnet with negative charge exist in a gaussian surface in the real world?

No, a magnet with negative charge cannot exist in a gaussian surface in the real world. This is because a magnet with negative charge does not exist in nature. A magnet can have a negative pole, but it will always have an equal and opposite positive pole, making its overall charge neutral. In order for a magnet to have a negative charge, it would need to have an excess of negative particles, which is not possible.

5. How is a magnet with negative charge in a gaussian surface different from a magnet with positive charge?

A magnet with negative charge in a gaussian surface is different from a magnet with positive charge in that their effects on the electric and magnetic fields are opposite. A magnet with positive charge inside a gaussian surface will have its electric and magnetic fields pointing outwards, while a magnet with negative charge will have its fields pointing inwards. Additionally, a magnet with positive charge will attract negative charges, while a magnet with negative charge will repel them.