Mag feild two wires opposite directions

• Thread starter goWlfpack
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wires
In summary, the magnetic field in region I is out of the page and is never zero, and in region III, it is possible for the field to be zero.
goWlfpack

Homework Statement

Two long, parallel wires carry currents of 20 A and 10 A in opposite directions, as in the figure below. Which of the following statements must be true? (Select all that apply.)

In region II the field is into the page and can be zero.
There are no points where the field is zero.
In region I the magnetic field is into the page and is never zero.
In region III it is possible for the field to be zero.
In region I the magnetic field is out of the page and is never zero.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i thought that the first and last statements were true because the direction of the first current is left to right and the one below it is right to left.

Physics news on Phys.org
Could you provide the picture? I need to know the direction of current flow.

Defennder said:
Could you provide the picture? I need to know the direction of current flow.
It won't let me but the top on which is 20 a goes from left to right and the bottom one is opposite

The answer is:

X In region I the magnetic field is out of the page and is never zero.
X In region III it is possible for the field to be zero.

Go Pack!

Related to Mag feild two wires opposite directions

1. What is a "Mag field"?

A "Mag field" refers to a magnetic field, which is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving electric charges, such as electrons, and can be represented by magnetic field lines.

2. How do two wires in opposite directions create a magnetic field?

When two wires are placed parallel to each other and current flows through them in opposite directions, the magnetic fields produced by the wires interact with each other. This interaction creates a combined magnetic field that is stronger than the individual fields of each wire.

3. What is the purpose of two wires in opposite directions in a magnetic field?

The purpose of using two wires in opposite directions is to create a stronger and more uniform magnetic field. This is useful for various applications such as in motors, generators, and magnetic sensors.

4. How is the strength of the magnetic field affected by the distance between the wires?

The strength of the magnetic field is inversely proportional to the distance between the wires. As the distance increases, the magnetic field becomes weaker. This is why the two wires are usually placed as close together as possible to create a stronger magnetic field.

5. Can the direction of the magnetic field be reversed by changing the direction of the current in one wire?

Yes, the direction of the magnetic field can be reversed by changing the direction of the current in one of the wires. This is because the direction of the magnetic field is determined by the direction of the current flow. Reversing the current flow will reverse the direction of the magnetic field.