Machine design software/services

In summary, a robotic arm that can cut objects would require a large machine with many axes, and would be very expensive.
mdlwn
Hello..sorry if this has been covered elswhere... I am a complete noob. I'm trying to find out how to develope a robotic arm or similar machine to cut 3 dimensional objects. Are there software programs that would create mechanical solutions based on a set of known results needed?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Sounds like what you want to make is a CNC (Computer Numerical Controlled) mill. There are home-made ones that can be done relatively cheaply, it all depends on what material you want it to cut, how large, and what the accuracy should be.

Do a search for "home made CNC mill" on Google, and you'll find what you want. making one will require some familiarity with machining processes, as well as absolute positioning and motion controlled-systems. Good luck!

I was thinking of a multi axis robotic arm that could sculpt objects anywhere from 2-20' or so...like a robotic welder. Still trying to learn what is required axis, extensions, etc to cut any potential shape. Well maybe not any shape, but a ball would likely be a good goal. Any resource info or a direction would be greatly appreciated.

mdlwn said:
I was thinking of a multi axis robotic arm that could sculpt objects anywhere from 2-20' or so...like a robotic welder. Still trying to learn what is required axis, extensions, etc to cut any potential shape. Well maybe not any shape, but a ball would likely be a good goal. Any resource info or a direction would be greatly appreciated.

Well suffice to say such a system would be large and very expensive! Sculpt objects out of what?

Mech_Engineer said:
Well suffice to say such a system would be large and very expensive! Sculpt objects out of what?

I really can't say at this point. The cutting head, platform, and mobility all exist commercially. Is there software or some formula that would test or plot how many and what type of axis would be needed to develope a robotic arm capable of performing these functions? If not, what might you recomend?

mdlwn said:
I really can't say at this point. The cutting head, platform, and mobility all exist commercially. Is there software or some formula that would test or plot how many and what type of axis would be needed to develope a robotic arm capable of performing these functions? If not, what might you recomend?

It will depend on the kind of cutting tool used, but my guess is you would need something on the order of a ball end mill on 7-axis machine: 2 axes for positioning the arm around the part (assumes the part would have to be machined from multiple directions), 3 for machining the part in 3-d space once the arm in positioned, and 2 for changing the angle of the head to prevent interference with overhangs/dropouts on the part.

Developing an arm that is capable of these movements is not particularly difficult for an engineering team and a company with R&D capital; but, a single person probably won't be able to build one in their garage in their spare time... It will be a large, heavy, complex, and expensive system.

Thank you for your time and info. I have no intention of building this myself...more thinking along the lines of attaching a smaller arm based on modified existing equipment, then attaching it to something along the lines of an excavator. The important parts would be the axes mechanisms more so than the structure as the structure would only have to support its own weight and not apply force with the exception of its own movement.

Related to Machine design software/services

1. What is machine design software?

Machine design software is a computer program that helps engineers and designers to create, analyze, and optimize the design of a machine or mechanical system. It allows users to create digital models of machines, test their performance, and make necessary modifications before the actual manufacturing process.

2. What are the benefits of using machine design software?

There are several benefits of using machine design software. Firstly, it allows for faster and more accurate design iterations, reducing the time and cost of the design process. It also provides visualizations and simulations of the machine's performance, allowing for better understanding and analysis. Additionally, it helps to identify potential design flaws and optimize the design for maximum efficiency.

3. Is machine design software user-friendly?

Yes, most machine design software is designed to be user-friendly and intuitive. Many programs offer a user-friendly interface with drag and drop features, making it easy for users with no prior knowledge of CAD (Computer-Aided Design) to use the software. Additionally, many software providers offer tutorials and customer support to assist users in learning and using the software effectively.

4. Can machine design software be used for any type of machine?

It depends on the specific software and its capabilities. Some machine design software is specialized for specific industries or types of machines, while others offer a wide range of features for different types of machines. It is important to research and choose the right software for the specific machine design needs.

5. Is it necessary to have engineering knowledge to use machine design software?

While having engineering knowledge can be helpful in understanding and utilizing all the features of machine design software, it is not always necessary. As mentioned earlier, many software programs offer user-friendly interfaces and tutorials to guide users without prior experience in CAD or engineering. However, having a basic understanding of engineering principles can be beneficial in creating more efficient and effective machine designs.