Mac LaTeX: Make TexShop the default to open .tex

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter Saladsamurai
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex Mac
In summary, the conversation discusses an issue with opening .tex files on a Mac. The speaker is trying to set TexShop as the default application, but it is not working. Another person suggests using the Mac help facility, which provides step-by-step instructions on how to change the default application for a specific file type. The speaker is surprised and grateful for this solution.
Saladsamurai
Hi guys!

This should be a no brainer, but I am having troubles. I downloaded the 2011 version of MacTex. It comes with TexWorks and TexShop. When I double click on .tex files, they open by default in TexWorks, but I want them to open by default in TexShop. It should be a simple matter of right clicking on a .tex file, using 'open with' TexShop, and checking the box that says 'always open this type with ...' But that is not working. It seems to be ignoring the fact that I checked the box :mad:

Anyone else have this issue?

EDIT: It doesn't actually ignore it. It ignores it for all other .tex files except for the one I right click on. I want the default to apply to ALL .tex files.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your Mac has an excellent help facility. This is verbatim from Mac Help:

Choosing an application to open a document

To change the application that opens a document:
  1. Select the document and choose File > Get Info.
  2. Click the triangle next to “Open with” to expand the section.
  3. Choose an application from the pop-up menu, or choose Other to locate a different application.
  4. If you want to use that application to open all documents of the same type as the current document and created by the same application, click Change All.

The last item is the answer to your question.

Wow DH! I am surprised that I have had a Mac for 7 years and have never used this! Thanks!

Related to Mac LaTeX: Make TexShop the default to open .tex

1. What is Mac LaTeX?

Mac LaTeX is a popular software program used by scientists, researchers, and academics to create and edit documents in the LaTeX format. It is specifically designed for Mac operating systems and offers a user-friendly interface with a variety of features and tools.

2. How do I make TexShop the default program to open .tex files?

To make TexShop the default program for opening .tex files, simply right-click on a .tex file, select "Get Info," and then choose TexShop from the "Open With" drop-down menu. Click "Change All" to make TexShop the default for all .tex files.

3. Can I use other text editors with Mac LaTeX?

Yes, Mac LaTeX is compatible with other text editors such as Sublime Text, Atom, and TextMate. However, TexShop is the recommended text editor for Mac LaTeX as it is specifically designed for use with the program.

4. Is Mac LaTeX free to use?

Yes, Mac LaTeX is a free and open-source software program. It can be downloaded and used by anyone without any cost.

5. Can I create and edit non-scientific documents with Mac LaTeX?

While Mac LaTeX is primarily used for scientific documents, it can also be used for creating and editing other types of documents such as resumes, letters, and reports. However, other software programs may be better suited for these types of documents.