LU Matix decomposition problem with U.

In summary, the conversation was about trying to put a 3x3 matrix into row echelon form and finding the LU decomposition. The person was struggling to understand their mistakes and asked for help from others. Another person attempted the question and reduced the matrix to triangular form, confirming the determinant to be 84.
Chadlee88

Homework Statement

i'm trying to put the 3x3 matrix: [4 2 6]
[ 2 8 2]
[-1 3 1]
into row echelow from.
but i don't know where I'm goin wrong in my row operations. could some1 please tell me where i hav made the mistake.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[4 2 6] [4 2 6 ] [4 2 6]
[2 8 2] r2->r2+2r3 [0 14 4] r3-> 4r3 [0 14 4]
[-1 3 1] [-1 3 1] [-4 12 4]

r3->r3+r1 [4 2 6 ] r3->r3-r2 [4 2 6]
[0 14 4] [0 14 4] :confused:
[0 14 10 [0 0 6]

I'm trying to find the LU decomposition so U is jst an upper triangular matrix and that's what my answer above is. and from the fact that
det(A) = det(LU) = det(L)det(U) = det(U) as det(L) = 1 the determinant of A has to be equal to the determinant of U. i worked out the determinant of A to be 84 but the determinant of U = 4((14x6)-(4x0))-2((0x6)-(4x0))+6((0x0)-(14x0)) = 4x14x6 = 336 which does not equal 84! i still dont' get what I've done wrong :(

P.S. Why does my question look fine until i post it?? My matrixs look weird after posting!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ok i am really struggling to understand your working so i tried the question myself using the following row operations:
R2' = R2 + (-1/2)R1
R3' = R3 + (1/4)R1
R3'' = R3' + (-1/2)R2

the matrix was then reduced to triangular form:
[4 2 6]
[0 7 -1]
[0 0 3]

you can try to work out the determinants from here ...
hope this helps
Steven

Got bored and decided to work it out ...

just to confirm
det(A)=det(U)
As:
det(U)=4(7x3)-2(0-0)+6(0-0)
=4X21=84 as required

Steven

Related to LU Matix decomposition problem with U.

1. What is LU Matix Decomposition?

LU Matrix Decomposition is a mathematical process used in linear algebra to factorize a square matrix into two triangular matrices, lower triangular matrix (L) and upper triangular matrix (U). This decomposition allows for efficient solving of systems of linear equations and matrix inversion.

2. What is the purpose of LU Matrix Decomposition?

The purpose of LU Matrix Decomposition is to simplify and speed up the process of solving systems of linear equations and matrix inversion. It also allows for more efficient storage and manipulation of matrices in computer algorithms.

3. What is the difference between LU Matrix Decomposition and other matrix decomposition methods?

LU Matrix Decomposition is different from other decomposition methods, such as Cholesky Decomposition or QR Decomposition, in that it decomposes a matrix into two triangular matrices instead of one triangular and one orthogonal matrix. This makes LU Decomposition more efficient for solving linear systems and inverting matrices.

4. Can LU Matrix Decomposition be used for non-square matrices?

No, LU Matrix Decomposition can only be used for square matrices. Non-square matrices do not have a unique LU decomposition, making the process not applicable.

5. What are the advantages and disadvantages of LU Matrix Decomposition?

The main advantage of LU Matrix Decomposition is its efficiency in solving linear systems and inverting matrices. It also has a simpler algorithm compared to other decomposition methods. However, it requires a non-zero pivot element in each step, making it unsuitable for matrices with zero elements. It also has a higher computational cost compared to other methods for sparse matrices.