Lowering a Piano with 2 ropes.

• Thread starter talaroue
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Piano
In summary, the conversation is about finding the work done by gravity force to lower a 244.37 kg piano using two ropes with given tensions and angles. The correct equation for calculating the work done by the first rope is -dT1sin(θ), where d is the displacement and T1 is the vertical component of the tension.
talaroue

Homework Statement

The two ropes are used to lower a 244.37 kg piano 9.47 m from a second-story window to the ground. How much work is done by gravity force? (T1=1805 N, q1=64°, T2=1112 N, q2=44°.)
C11P111.jpg

How much work is done by T1 force?
How much work is done by T2 force?

Homework Equations

Wt1= mgdTcos(theata)

The Attempt at a Solution

Wt1= mdTcos(theata)=RIDICULOUSLY HUGE and wrong lol. What is wrong with the way I am approaching this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
The force on the piano due to gravity is just the weight. So the work done by gravity is (force)(distance moved in direction of force) = weight times the distance lowered.

mmhmmm. I understand that part. But the main problem is the tension parts

Oh sorry, I didn't see there were two more parts to the question.

I am sorry, I mean the work done by the first rope. I was thinking tension in my head. I thought the equation i came up with is right? What is wrong with it?

The vertical component of T1 is T1sin(θ), not T1cos(θ). You will also need to add a minus sign because the direction of displacement is opposite to this vertical component. So the work done by T1 will be -dT1sin(θ) (force times displacement in direction of force).

so the equation i should be using is Wt1=-d*sin(theata)*T

isn't T the force?

What is d? Isn't it the displacement?

Yep! I got it thanks for the help I got it right but more importantly undersand where the anwser came from.

Related to Lowering a Piano with 2 ropes.

1. How do you lower a piano using 2 ropes?

To lower a piano with 2 ropes, you will need to first secure the ropes to the piano. Then, have one person hold onto each rope and slowly lower the piano to the desired location. It is important to communicate and coordinate the lowering process to avoid any accidents.

2. Can 2 ropes support the weight of a piano?

Yes, 2 ropes can support the weight of a piano as long as the ropes are strong enough to handle the weight. It is recommended to use high-quality, sturdy ropes that can hold at least twice the weight of the piano.

3. What is the best way to safely lower a piano with 2 ropes?

The best way to safely lower a piano with 2 ropes is to have at least 2 people helping with the process. Make sure the ropes are securely attached to the piano and that everyone involved is communicating and working together. Slowly and carefully lower the piano to the desired location.

4. Are there any risks involved in lowering a piano with 2 ropes?

There are risks involved in lowering a piano with 2 ropes, especially if proper precautions are not taken. If the ropes are not strong enough or if there is miscommunication between people, the piano can fall and cause damage or injury. It is important to take all necessary safety measures when lowering a piano with 2 ropes.

5. How can I make sure the piano is lowered evenly with 2 ropes?

To ensure that the piano is lowered evenly with 2 ropes, you can use a spirit level to make sure the piano is straight and not tilted to one side. Additionally, communicate with the person holding the other rope to make any necessary adjustments to keep the piano level as it is being lowered.