Lower bounds on energy eigenvalues

In summary, the conversation discusses methods for calculating lower bounds on energy eigenvalues, specifically for states other than the ground state. The Uncertainty principle provides a lower bound for an energy spectrum, but it cannot be generally formulated and varies for each case. For finding the energy upper bound, one can guess a wave function and calculate the Hamiltonian's expectation value, with additional conditions for higher states. The conversation also mentions Temple's inequality as a potential method for calculating lower bounds, but the speaker is not familiar with it.
jfy4
Hi,
I'm interested in learning about what would be the compliment to the Variational method. I'm aware that the Variational method allows one to calculate upper bounds, but I'm wondering about methods to calculate lower bounds on energy eigenvalues. And for energies besides the ground state if such methods exist.

Are there methods to calculate lower bounds on energy eigenvalues (the ground state and higher)?

Thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
The lower bound for an energy spectrum is provided by the Uncertainty principle. You should just be able to use it properly. I think with a little thought, you can use it to find the lower bound for any state but it can't be generally formulated and is different for each case.
About finding the energy upper bound for states other than the ground state. For the ground state, you just guess(it can be an educated guess) a wave function and calculate the Hamiltonian's expectation value in that state and minimize it.
For the first excited state, you should again guess a wave function, but this time, you have the condition that this wave function should be orthogonal to the one you chose for the ground state. Then you do the same thing as the last case.
For second excited state, the wave function you guess should be orthogonal to the last two wave functions and so on.

Shyan said:
The lower bound for an energy spectrum is provided by the Uncertainty principle. You should just be able to use it properly. I think with a little thought, you can use it to find the lower bound for any state but it can't be generally formulated and is different for each case.
About finding the energy upper bound for states other than the ground state. For the ground state, you just guess(it can be an educated guess) a wave function and calculate the Hamiltonian's expectation value in that state and minimize it.
For the first excited state, you should again guess a wave function, but this time, you have the condition that this wave function should be orthogonal to the one you chose for the ground state. Then you do the same thing as the last case.
For second excited state, the wave function you guess should be orthogonal to the last two wave functions and so on.

Thanks for your response. You already taught me something! However, I was thinking more along the lines of something like Temple's inequality. An inequality relation using expectation values of the Hamiltonian. I have been trying to find something similar for other energies besides the ground state.

I don't know about that inequality so I can't help.

Related to Lower bounds on energy eigenvalues

1. What are lower bounds on energy eigenvalues?

Lower bounds on energy eigenvalues refer to the minimum possible values that the energy of a system can have, based on certain constraints or conditions. In other words, it is the lowest possible energy level that a system can have without violating the laws of physics or the principles of quantum mechanics.

2. Why are lower bounds on energy eigenvalues important in physics?

Lower bounds on energy eigenvalues are important because they allow us to understand and predict the behavior of physical systems. They also provide a framework for understanding the stability and properties of atoms, molecules, and other particles.

3. How do scientists determine lower bounds on energy eigenvalues?

Scientists use mathematical models and techniques, such as the Schrödinger equation, to calculate and determine the lower bounds on energy eigenvalues. These calculations take into account various factors such as the mass of the particles, their interactions, and the shape of the potential well in which they are confined.

4. What are some real-world applications of lower bounds on energy eigenvalues?

Lower bounds on energy eigenvalues have many practical applications, including in materials science, quantum computing, and nuclear energy. For example, understanding the lower bounds on energy eigenvalues can help in designing more stable and efficient materials for use in electronics and energy storage devices.

5. Can lower bounds on energy eigenvalues be exceeded?

No, lower bounds on energy eigenvalues cannot be exceeded. They represent the minimum energy level that a system can have, and any violation of these bounds would contradict the fundamental laws of physics. However, it is possible for systems to have energy levels that are higher than the lower bounds, as long as they do not violate these constraints.