Love Thy Neighbor: The Evolution of In-Group Morality

In summary, Professor John Hartung's article "Love Thy Neighbor: The Evolution of In-Group Morality" discusses the evolutionary processes of Inclusive Fitness and Reciprocal Altruism that have led to the development of in-group morality psychology among various population groups. This behavior, where altruism is directed towards one's own group at the expense of out-groups, has been linked to genocides and xenophobic behaviors in human history. While the author takes a pessimistic view on the future outcomes of this behavior, he suggests that the only solution would be to change the genetic makeup of humans. The article also highlights how this behavior is not limited to religion, but can also be observed in other ideologies such as politics and economics. The
Charles Darwin
Hi,

I just completed reading a very interesting article called "Love Thy Neighbor: The Evolution of In-Group Morality," by Professor John Hartung. Here is the link to the full article: http://members.aol.com/toexist/ltnhome.html His basic premise is that through the evolutionary processes of Inclusive Fitness and Riciprocal Altruism, various population groups evolved an in-group morality psychology in which altruism is directed towards their own group to the detriment of out-groups. This behavior is then linked to much of the genocides and xenophobic behaviors of humans. From what he states, this behavior is innate and he takes a pessimistic view regarding the future human outcomes of this.

But, he does suggest that the only solution to this would be to actually change the genetic/biological makeup of humans that cause such xenophobic/genocidal behavior.

Anyway, I found the article very informative and would highly suggest reading it.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
It is indeed, actually the mechanism seems to be very obvious. One can observe it at the school yard as well. The defence of the ethnic group as relic of the survival of the fittest instinct. The us against them, the enemy whomever he is. Me, the hero, fights the enemy and gain tremendously in social status, which is my desire. I only need an excuse. The Qu'ran and the Bible offer me such an enemy image of the heathens or the other religion, but so does "Das Kapital" of Karl Marx against the Capitalists and "Mein Kampf" of Hitler against the Jews. Hence, it's not limited to religion. The clash of the civilisations.

And apparently it's terrible difficult to recognise, whether or not we are involved in such a process. Many decent and rational humans shouted "Jawohl" when Hitler yelled "wollt ihr den totalen Krieg?". Are we recognising that pattern nowadays?

Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité, a genocide wolf disguished in ideal sheep clothes.

Last edited:

Thank you for sharing this article. The concept of in-group morality and its evolutionary origins is definitely a thought-provoking topic. It is interesting to consider how our innate tendencies towards altruism and cooperation may have evolved to favor our own group over others. It is also concerning to think about how this behavior has contributed to conflicts and atrocities throughout history.

I agree that the idea of changing our genetic makeup to eliminate these tendencies is not a feasible solution. However, I do believe that we have the capacity to overcome these innate biases through education, empathy, and understanding. It is important for us to recognize and challenge our own in-group biases and strive towards a more inclusive and compassionate society.

Thank you again for sharing this article. It has certainly given me a lot to think about.

Related to Love Thy Neighbor: The Evolution of In-Group Morality

What is "Love Thy Neighbor: The Evolution of In-Group Morality" about?

"Love Thy Neighbor: The Evolution of In-Group Morality" is a scientific study that explores the origins and development of in-group morality, which is the tendency for humans to show preferential treatment and moral consideration towards those within their own social group.

What evidence supports the theory of in-group morality?

There is a significant amount of evidence from various fields of study, such as psychology, anthropology, and biology, that supports the theory of in-group morality. This includes studies on empathy, social identity, group cooperation, and the evolution of altruism.

How does in-group morality affect human behavior?

In-group morality plays a crucial role in shaping human behavior, as it influences our attitudes towards others and guides our moral decision-making. It can lead to both positive behaviors, such as cooperation and compassion towards those in our group, as well as negative behaviors, such as discrimination and prejudice towards those outside of our group.

Can in-group morality be changed or overcome?

While in-group morality is a deeply ingrained and natural aspect of human behavior, it is not fixed or immutable. Through education, exposure to diverse perspectives, and promoting empathy and understanding, it is possible for individuals and societies to overcome the negative effects of in-group morality and promote more inclusive and compassionate behavior towards all individuals.

What are the implications of in-group morality for society?

In-group morality can have both positive and negative implications for society. On one hand, it can foster a sense of unity and cooperation within a group, leading to social cohesion and collective action. On the other hand, it can also contribute to conflict, discrimination, and inequalities between different social groups. Understanding the drivers and effects of in-group morality is crucial for creating a more just and harmonious society.