Lovastatin in dilute aqueous acid

In summary, when Lovastatin is heated in dilute aqueous acid, the ester linkages within the molecule will be cleaved, resulting in two products. The smaller product will be a separate carboxylic acid, while the larger product will have an alcohol group due to the cleavage of the cyclic ester. If the ester within the top right ring is also cleaved, the molecular weight of the larger product will be approximately 338.4 g/mol, but if not, it will be approximately 320.4 g/mol. This process is known as hydrolysis, where the addition of water causes the ring to open.
MiniJo

Homework Statement

If Lovastatin were heated in dilute aqueous acid, what would the molecular weight of the product be? (The large of the two products. Assume that there is no hydration of the alkene functionalities.)

Homework Equations

N/A

The Attempt at a Solution

Lovastatin.png

I drew out the structure of Lovastatin and found there to be 2 ester linkages: 1 at the left separating the chain from the ring, and the 2nd ester linkage within the ring of the top right ring. So, based off this, I'm assuming that reacting the Lovastatin with dilute aqueous acid (adding water and acid) would cleave the ester linkages. One smaller product would be a separate carboxylic acid, 2-methylbutanoic acid, I think, and the other would be a larger product. At the point where the carboxylic acid separates, there would be an alcohol group on the larger product. However, I'm unsure if the same cleavage would occur in the ester within the top right ring. If the ring DOES get cleaved, resulting in a carboxylic acid and alcohol, then the molecular weight would be ~338.4 g/mol. If not, then the moleculare weight would be ~320.4 g/mol.

At this point, I'm basically just stuck on this. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The cyclic ester is of a special type known as a lactone. Under aqueous acid, this ring opens to form an alcohol and the carboxylic acid. It is a hydrolysis (hydrolysis = cleavage through the addition water).

Thanks a bunch!

I'm pretty sure I got it now.

Related to Lovastatin in dilute aqueous acid

1. What is Lovastatin?

Lovastatin is a medication commonly used to lower cholesterol levels in individuals with high cholesterol. It is classified as a statin drug, which works by blocking the enzyme responsible for producing cholesterol in the liver.

2. How does Lovastatin work in dilute aqueous acid?

In dilute aqueous acid, Lovastatin undergoes a chemical reaction called hydrolysis, where it is broken down into its active form. This active form then works to lower cholesterol levels in the body by inhibiting the enzyme responsible for producing cholesterol.

3. What is the recommended dosage for Lovastatin?

The recommended dosage for Lovastatin varies depending on the individual's cholesterol levels and medical history. It is important to follow the dosage prescribed by a doctor and to not exceed the recommended amount.

4. Are there any side effects of using Lovastatin?

Like any medication, Lovastatin may cause side effects in some individuals. Common side effects include headache, muscle pain, and digestive issues. It is important to consult a doctor if these side effects persist or become severe.

5. Can Lovastatin be used in combination with other medications?

It is important to inform your doctor about any other medications you are taking before starting Lovastatin. Some medications may interact with Lovastatin and cause adverse effects. Your doctor will be able to determine if Lovastatin is safe to use in combination with your other medications.