Loss of momentum in supposedly isolated inelastic collsion?

In summary, the conversation discusses a possible mistake in the calculation of momentum for an inelastic collision between two gliders on an air track. The values for the masses and velocities are provided and it is determined that there may be an error in one of the velocities. The expected final velocity after impact is also mentioned.
bravoghost
I may have made a mistake in calculating, but I just finished lab homework where my calculated momentum was different before and after an inelastic collsion. Is it possible that momentum was lost in the vibration of the impact or something?

The experiment placed two gliders on a level air track (isolated system) and one glider was pushed into a second one that was station.

here are my values:
m for both gliders = .2014 kg
v1i = .3576 m/s (after the push)
v2i = 0.000 m/s
vf = .0716 m/s

with all that subbed into the conservation of momentum equation for inelastic collsions, i got .072 N*s for before the collision, and .028 N*s for after. That doesn't =0!

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like an error in one of the velocities. Since both masses are the same, the final velocity immediately after impact should be half the velocity of the moving object just before impact.

I would first check the calculations to ensure that they were done correctly. It is possible that there was a mistake made in the calculations, which could explain the difference in momentum before and after the inelastic collision. Additionally, it is important to consider all of the factors that could contribute to the loss of momentum in an isolated system.

One factor could be friction between the gliders and the air track. Even though the air track is designed to minimize friction, there may still be some present that could result in a loss of momentum during the collision. Another factor could be the energy lost as heat due to the vibration of the impact. This could also contribute to a loss of momentum in the system.

It is also important to consider the limitations of the equipment used in the experiment. Small errors in measurements or equipment malfunctions could also lead to a difference in calculated momentum before and after the collision.

In order to accurately determine if momentum was truly lost in the collision, it would be necessary to repeat the experiment multiple times and compare the results. If the results consistently show a loss of momentum, then further investigation into the factors mentioned above may be needed. However, if the results vary, it could indicate that there was a mistake in the calculations or other factors at play.

Ultimately, it is important to carefully analyze all aspects of the experiment and take into account any potential sources of error before drawing conclusions about the loss of momentum in an inelastic collision.

Related to Loss of momentum in supposedly isolated inelastic collsion?

1. What is meant by "loss of momentum" in an inelastic collision?

Loss of momentum refers to a decrease in the total momentum of a system after an inelastic collision. This means that the total momentum of the objects involved in the collision is less after the collision than it was before.

2. How is momentum conserved in an inelastic collision?

In an inelastic collision, momentum is conserved within the system. This means that the total momentum of the objects before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision, even if some of that momentum is lost during the collision.

3. What factors contribute to the loss of momentum in an inelastic collision?

The loss of momentum in an inelastic collision is primarily due to the conversion of kinetic energy into other forms of energy, such as heat and sound. Additionally, any external forces acting on the system may also contribute to the loss of momentum.

4. Can the amount of momentum lost in an inelastic collision be calculated?

Yes, the amount of momentum lost in an inelastic collision can be calculated by finding the difference between the total momentum before and after the collision. This can be done using the equation: Δp = pf - pi, where Δp is the change in momentum, pf is the final momentum, and pi is the initial momentum.

5. How does the coefficient of restitution affect the loss of momentum in an inelastic collision?

The coefficient of restitution, which is a measure of the elasticity of a collision, can affect the amount of momentum lost in an inelastic collision. A higher coefficient of restitution means that the collision is more elastic, and therefore less momentum will be lost. In contrast, a lower coefficient of restitution means that the collision is more inelastic, and more momentum will be lost.