Loss of mechanical energy due to friction - ?

In summary: Thanks!Just to be clear on some things. What does "U" represent ?U represents the potential energy of the 6kg box and 8kg box. You are correct in that the total energy is the sum of the potential and kinetic energies of the two boxes. Thanks for your help!
nukeman
Loss of mechanical energy due to friction - ??

Homework Statement

Here, ill post the problem as a picture below, so you have all the info.

axbbpw.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble with a:

Since I don't have to worry about angles, and that the coeff of friction is not given, this is what I came up with, but I really think its wrong.

(8)(9.8) (1.5) = 117.6 J lost ?

Physics news on Phys.org

Calculate the total energy of the system before anything happens. It will be all potential since nothing's moving. Call this your initial energy.

Afterwards calculate the total energy by adding the new potential energy and kinetic energy of the system together. Call this your final energy.

Find the difference between the two by subtracting them. This is the energy lost.

nukeman said:

Homework Statement

Here, ill post the problem as a picture below, so you have all the info.

axbbpw.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am having trouble with a:

Since I don't have to worry about angles, and that the coeff of friction is not given, this is what I came up with, but I really think its wrong.

(8)(9.8) (1.5) = 117.6 J lost ?

That energy loss is only the loss of Graviational Potential Energy. But the system has gained some Kinetic Energy - presumably not the whole 117.6 J.
Any discrepancy will be the energy lost to friction.

aftershock said:
Calculate the total energy of the system before anything happens. It will be all potential since nothing's moving. Call this your initial energy.

Afterwards calculate the total energy by adding the new potential energy and kinetic energy of the system together. Call this your final energy.

Find the difference between the two by subtracting them. This is the energy lost.

im not sure how to do this. What would the formula I should be using?

nukeman said:
im not sure how to do this. What would the formula I should be using?

At first nothing's moving, all your energy is gravitational potential energy which is mgh right?

The lowest point in this problem is 1.50m below where the block originally is so I'd call that point height zero. So by doing mgh of the 6kg block you have initial energy.

When the block moves down 1.50m h=0 so no potential, but it is moving at some given speed so 0.5mv2 All you need to do is take the difference of these two quantities, m even cancels.

Now you may be thinking what about the 8kg block, doesn't it have some potential energy? It does but since the height never changes the potential energy never changes so when you take the difference it would just cancel out.

Thanks for your help...But I don't quite understand what you said here:

When the block moves down 1.50m h=0 so no potential, but it is moving at some given speed so 0.5mv2 All you need to do is take the difference of these two quantities, m even cancels.

Is there other ways to solve this? Thanks again!

nukeman said:
Thanks for your help...But I don't quite understand what you said here:

Is there other ways to solve this? Thanks again!

Glad to help.

Have you learned about potential and kinetic energy?

Let's figure out the initial energy. PE + KE since we have no movement there is no KE right? 0.5mv2 v=0 so there's none.

So what's the potential energy of the 6kg block?

When calculating the final energy there is no potential since h=0 and potential= mgh

So what's the kinetic energy when the blocks are moving 2.20m/s?

JUST started potential and kinetic today...

Is the potential energy of the 6kg box;

(6)(9.8)(1.5) = 88.2 J?

And then so I go;

.5(6)(2.20)^2 = 43.56 J

?

nukeman said:
JUST started potential and kinetic today...

Is the potential energy of the 6kg box;

(6)(9.8)(1.5) = 88.2 J?

And then so I go;

.5(6)(2.20)^2 = 43.56 J

?

Very close. The potential energy of the 6kg box is correct, however the 8kg also has some PE although you don't know what it is, just call it U

So initially the energy is 88.2 +U

The second part is also very close you've correctly calculated the kinetic energy of the 6 kg box, but what about the 8kg box?

43.56 + kinetic energy of the 8kg box + U since the 8kg box didn't change height and still has the same potential energy.

Next you need to subtract them:

43.56 + KE of 8kg box + U - (88.2 + U)

HINT: You don't need to know what U is, it just cancels

Ohhh.

Just to be clear on some things. What does "U" represent ?

So, am I just adding together the KE of 6kg box and 8 kg box, and subtracting the 43.56 ?

nukeman said:
Ohhh.

Just to be clear on some things. What does "U" represent ?

The potential energy of the 8kg box, I don't think you have enough info to figure out what it is, but it won't matter since it cancels.

So, am I just adding together the KE of 6kg box and 8 kg box, and subtracting the 43.56 ?

Not quite. You're adding together the KE of the 6 and 8kg box and subtracting from 88.2

Little lost here.

The KE of 6kg box is 88.2 J - Now you say add that to the KE of the 8kg box ?

is it:

43.56 + 117.6 - 88.2 = 72.96J lost?

If that's correct, then using that answer, how am I to figure out the coefficient of kinetic friction between the 8kg box and the tabletop?

Last edited:

nukeman said:
is it:

43.56 + 117.6 - 88.2 = 72.96J lost?

If that's correct, then using that answer, how am I to figure out the coefficient of kinetic friction between the 8kg box and the tabletop?

Can't be.

You "lose" 88.2 Joules of energy due to the change in Potential energy of the 6 kg block.

You "gain" some of that due to the increase in Kinetic energy of both blocks. That kinetic energy must be less than 88.2 J or the supplied data is inconsistent.

Once you have the amount of energy lost, you can find the friction Force, because Force x distance gives the amount of energy involved.

Once you know the size of the force, you can use the weight of the 8kg block to calculate the coefficient of friction.

NOTE: your figure of 43.56 is wrong.

0.5 x 6 x 2.22 is only 14.52

I suspect you calculated (0.5 x 6 x 2.2)2
The most common way to make that mistake is a failure to understand how your calculator does things.

Related to Loss of mechanical energy due to friction - ?

1. What is friction and how does it cause loss of mechanical energy?

Friction is the force that opposes motion between two objects that are in contact. When two surfaces rub against each other, the irregularities on their surfaces create resistance, which converts mechanical energy into heat energy, resulting in a loss of mechanical energy.

2. Can friction be completely eliminated to prevent loss of mechanical energy?

No, it is not possible to completely eliminate friction. In fact, some amount of friction is necessary for objects to stay in place and for us to have control over their movements. However, through proper lubrication and use of smooth surfaces, the amount of friction and resulting loss of mechanical energy can be reduced.

3. How does the type of surface affect the amount of mechanical energy lost due to friction?

The type of surface greatly affects the amount of mechanical energy lost due to friction. Rougher surfaces have more irregularities, which create more resistance and result in a higher loss of mechanical energy. Smoother surfaces have fewer irregularities, resulting in less friction and a lower loss of mechanical energy.

4. How does the mass of an object affect the amount of mechanical energy lost due to friction?

The mass of an object does not directly affect the amount of mechanical energy lost due to friction. However, heavier objects may experience more friction due to increased pressure on the surfaces in contact, resulting in a slightly higher loss of mechanical energy.

5. Can friction be beneficial in any way?

Yes, friction can be beneficial in many ways. Without friction, we would not be able to walk, drive, or even hold objects. Friction also plays a crucial role in many everyday devices, such as brakes in cars and gears in machines. It also helps to prevent objects from slipping or sliding, keeping them in place and allowing us to have control over their movements.