Lorentz velocity transformation problem

In summary, the question asks for the speed of spacecraft A as measured by an observer in spacecraft B, given that spacecraft A is moving towards Earth at 0.50c and spacecraft B is moving towards Earth at 0.80c. The formula for velocity transformation can be used to calculate this, with the result being 0.5c. However, if we ignore relativity and use non-relativistic speeds, the answer would be -0.5c.
Aziza
An observer on Earth observes two spacecraft moving
in the same direction toward the Earth. Spacecraft A appears
to have a speed of 0.50c, and spacecraft B appears
to have a speed of 0.80c. What is the speed of spacecraft
A measured by an observer in spacecraft B?So if S is the reference frame of the Earth, S' is the reference frame of plane B, v is the velocity with which S' approaches S (according to S), u is the velocity with which plane A approaches Earth (according to Earth) and u' is the velocity with which plane A approaches plane B (according to B), then:

v = -0.8c
u = -0.5c

u' = (u-v) / 1-(uv/c2)) = 0.5c

I am interpreting this as meaning that according to plane B, plane A is actually moving away from B at 0.5c. My book, however, has the answer as -0.5c, implying the opposite, i think?...is the book wrong or are my signs wrong? It makes sense to me making v and u negative because the formula for the velocity transformation was derived assuming that S' and the event (plane A here) are moving away from S, not towards...

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Aziza! :smile:

I think you're over-thinking this …
Aziza said:
An observer on Earth observes two spacecraft moving
in the same direction toward the Earth. Spacecraft A appears
to have a speed of 0.50c, and spacecraft B appears
to have a speed of 0.80c. What is the speed of spacecraft
A measured by an observer in spacecraft B?

… if we ignore relativity, and choose 50mph and 80mph instead,

then obviously B is going faster than A, so A's speed measured by B will be negative :wink:

(of course, this is a non-standard usage of "speed" :redface: … the standard usage is as the magnitude of velocity, so that it's always non-negative)

Related to Lorentz velocity transformation problem

1. What is the Lorentz velocity transformation problem?

The Lorentz velocity transformation problem is a mathematical problem that arises in the theory of special relativity. It involves transforming the velocities of an object measured in one inertial reference frame to its velocities measured in another inertial reference frame that is moving at a constant velocity relative to the first frame.

2. Why is the Lorentz velocity transformation important?

The Lorentz velocity transformation is important because it allows us to understand how velocities are affected by the principles of special relativity, such as time dilation and length contraction. It also helps us to accurately describe and predict the behavior of objects moving at high speeds.

3. How is the Lorentz velocity transformation derived?

The Lorentz velocity transformation is derived using the principles of special relativity, specifically the Lorentz transformations which describe how space and time coordinates are transformed between inertial reference frames. The velocity transformation is derived by applying these transformations to the components of velocity in each frame.

4. What is the formula for the Lorentz velocity transformation?

The formula for the Lorentz velocity transformation is given by v' = (v + u) / (1 + (v * u) / c2), where v is the velocity measured in the first frame, v' is the velocity measured in the second frame, u is the relative velocity between the two frames, and c is the speed of light.

5. How does the Lorentz velocity transformation affect the speed of light?

The Lorentz velocity transformation does not affect the speed of light. According to the principles of special relativity, the speed of light is constant in all inertial reference frames, regardless of their relative motion. This means that the formula for the velocity transformation cannot be applied to the speed of light, as it would result in a division by zero.