Lorentz transformations (time dilation)

In summary, the conversation discusses a rocket ship traveling from New York to Los Angeles and the calculations needed to determine the speed required for the ship to have its length shortened by 1% and the difference in time between the ship's clock and ground-based clocks upon arrival. The equations used for the calculations are also provided. However, the attempted solution only calculates the time elapsed on the two clocks, not the difference between them.
Ascendant78

Homework Statement

A rocket ship carrying passengers blasts off to go from
New York to Los Angeles, a distance of about 5000 km.
(a) How fast must the rocket ship go to have its own
length shortened by 1%? (b) Ignore effects of general
relativity and determine how much time the rocket
ship’s clock and the ground-based clocks differ when
the rocket ship arrives in Los Angeles.

Homework Equations

Since I solved for (a) and got the correct answer (0.14c or approx. 4.2x107m/s), here is the equation for (b) that I used:

T' = To/(sqrt(1-β2)

alternate formula:

t'2 - t'1 = ((t2 - t1) - (v/c^2)(x2 - x1)/(sqrt(1-β^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

Total travel time = 0.119s (5E6/4.2E7)
Velocity = 4.2E7

So:

T' = 0.119/(sqrt(1-4.2E7^2/3E8^2))
This gave me 1.2E-1s (or about 120ms)

alternately (second formula):

T' = (0.119 - (4.2E7/c^2)(5E6)/(sqrt(1-(4.2E7^2/c^2)))
This gave me 1.17E-1s (or about 120ms)

---------------------------
It seems like both are giving me the same answer, but are off by a factor of 100 (since both round to 120ms and the correct answer is 1.2ms). Can someone please let me know where I'm going wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
You've calculated the time elapsed on the two clocks, but the question is asking for the difference between the two clocks.

Likes 1 person
vela said:
You've calculated the time elapsed on the two clocks, but the question is asking for the difference between the two clocks.

Oh wow, I can't believe I overlooked that fact. Thank you.

Related to Lorentz transformations (time dilation)

1. What are Lorentz transformations?

Lorentz transformations are mathematical equations developed by Dutch physicist Hendrik Lorentz in the late 19th century to explain how measurements of space and time are affected by the movement of objects at high speeds. They are an essential part of Albert Einstein's theory of special relativity.

2. How do Lorentz transformations explain time dilation?

Lorentz transformations show that time is not absolute and can appear to move at different rates depending on the relative speeds of two objects. This is known as time dilation, and it is a consequence of the constant speed of light in a vacuum and the relativity of simultaneity.

3. What is the formula for time dilation in Lorentz transformations?

The formula for time dilation is t' = t / √(1 - v²/c²), where t' is the time measured in the moving frame of reference, t is the time measured in the stationary frame of reference, v is the relative velocity between the two frames, and c is the speed of light.

4. How does the concept of time dilation affect our understanding of time?

The concept of time dilation challenges the traditional understanding of time as a constant and universal measure. It suggests that time is relative and can change depending on the observer's frame of reference. This has profound implications for our understanding of the universe, including concepts such as causality and the passage of time.

5. Can Lorentz transformations be applied to everyday situations?

Yes, Lorentz transformations can be applied to everyday situations, but their effects are only noticeable at speeds close to the speed of light. For example, GPS satellites must account for time dilation due to their high speeds in orbit, or else their measurements would be significantly inaccurate. However, for everyday human activities, the effects of time dilation are negligible and can be ignored.