Lorentz transformations of the angular momentum

In summary: I don't have a clue what a 'contraction factor for angular momentum' means. This is how the components of angular momentum are transformed when we go from one frame of reference to another.
scope
hey,

does anyone there know how the angular momentum (L=r x p) is transformed under Lorentz transformations?

Physics news on Phys.org
There is no cross product in four dimensions, so the generalization of rxp is a rank-2 tensor, not a vector: [itex]J^{jk}=r^jp^k[/itex]. In the center of mass frame of a system, with the axis taken to be the center of mass, you can define a three-vector Jl according to [itex]J^{jk}=\epsilon^{jkl}J^l[/itex], where [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is the Levi-Civita symbol. The advantages of Jl are that it's less unwieldy than [itex]J^{jk}[/itex], and it matches up with the Newtonian angular momentum in the appropriate limit. The advantage of [itex]J^{jk}[/itex] is that it transforms in a simple way, as a rank-2 tensor.

Likes Spinnor
bcrowell said:
There is no cross product in four dimensions, so the generalization of rxp is a rank-2 tensor, not a vector: [itex]J^{jk}=r^jp^k[/itex]. In the center of mass frame of a system, with the axis taken to be the center of mass, you can define a three-vector Jl according to [itex]J^{jk}=\epsilon^{jkl}J^l[/itex], where [itex]\epsilon[/itex] is the Levi-Civita symbol. The advantages of Jl are that it's less unwieldy than [itex]J^{jk}[/itex], and it matches up with the Newtonian angular momentum in the appropriate limit. The advantage of [itex]J^{jk}[/itex] is that it transforms in a simple way, as a rank-2 tensor.

thank you so angular momentum becomes a tensor that is 2 times countervariant? but how are these tensors transformed under Lorentz transformations?

[tex]
M^{\mu \nu} \equiv X^{\mu} P^{\nu} - X^{\nu} P^{\mu}, \; M^{\nu \mu} = -M^{\mu \nu}
[/tex][tex]
M'^{\mu \nu} = \Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\rho} \, \Lambda^{\nu}{}_{\pi} \, M^{\rho \pi}
[/tex]

Last edited:
Likes Spinnor
Dickfore said:
[tex]
M^{\mu \nu} \equiv X^{\mu} P^{\nu} - X^{\nu} P^{\mu}, \; M^{\nu \mu} = -M^{\mu \nu}
[/tex]

[tex]
M'^{\mu \nu} = \Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\rho} \, \Lambda^{\nu}{}_{\pi} \, M^{\rho \pi}
[/tex]

thank you, does that mean that if the length is contracted by k, the momentum is also contracted by k, and the angular momentum by k^2?

scope said:
thank you, does that mean that if the length is contracted by k, the momentum is also contracted by k, and the angular momentum by k^2?

In general a Lorentz transformation doesn't reduce to just length contraction and time dilation. I believe the way you've stated it would work if the angular momentum tensor was diagonal, but actually it's the off-diagonal components that are interpreted as the angular momentum.

The matrix corresponding to [itex]\Lambda^{\mu}{}_{\nu}[/itex] uses [itex]\mu[/itex] as a row index and [itex]\nu[/itex] as a column index. For example, for the common relative motion along the [itex]Ox_{1}[/itex]-axis, the matrix is:

[tex]
\hat{\Lambda} \rightarrow \left[\begin{array}{cccc}
\gamma & -\beta \, \gamma & 0 & 0 \\

-\beta \, \gamma & \gamma & 0 & 0 \\

0 & 0 & 1 & 0 \\

0 & 0 & 0 & 1
\end{array}\right]
[/tex]

where:

[tex]
\gamma = (1 - \beta)^{-1/2}, \; \beta = V/c
[/tex]

For the angular momentum tensor, one needs [itex]X^{\mu} = (c t, \mathbf{r})[/itex] and [itex]P^{\mu} = (E/c, \mathbf{p})[/itex]. Therefore, we can write:

[tex]
M^{i 0} = X^{i} \, P^{0} - X^{0} \, P^{i} = x_{i} \, \frac{E}{c} - c t \, p_{i}
[/tex]

i.e. they are the Cartesian components of the vector:

[tex]
\frac{E}{c} \, \mathbf{r} - c t \, \mathbf{p}
[/tex]

[tex]
M^{i j} = X^{i} \, P^{j} - X^{j} \, P^{i} = x_{i} \, p_{j} - x_{j} \, p_{i} = \epsilon_{i j k} \, L_{k}
[/tex]

where [itex]\epsilon_{i j k}[/itex] is the Levi-Civita completely antisymmetric symbol ([itex]\epsilon_{1 2 3} = +1[/itex]) and [itex]L_{k}[/itex] are the Cartesian components of the angular momentum pseudo-vector [itex]\mathbf{L} = \mathbf{r} \times \mathbf{p}[/itex].

Last edited:
Likes Spinnor
So, for example, to find how [itex]L_{z}[/itex] transforms under a conventional Lorentz transformation, you should look how [itex]M^{1 2} = L_{z}[/itex] transforms according to the general rule:

[tex]
L'_{z} \equiv M'^{1 2} = \Lambda^{1}{}_{0} \, \Lambda^{2}{}_{2} \, M^{0 2} + \Lambda^{1}{}_{1} \, \Lambda^{2}{}_{2} \, M^{1 2} = \gamma \left(L_{z} - \beta \, c (t p_{y} - \frac{E}{c^{2}} \, y) \right)
[/tex]

Dickfore said:
So, for example, to find how [itex]L_{z}[/itex] transforms under a conventional Lorentz transformation, you should look how [itex]M^{1 2} = L_{z}[/itex] transforms according to the general rule:

[tex]
L'_{z} \equiv M'^{1 2} = \Lambda^{1}{}_{0} \, \Lambda^{2}{}_{2} \, M^{0 2} + \Lambda^{1}{}_{1} \, \Lambda^{2}{}_{2} \, M^{1 2} = \gamma \left(L_{z} - \beta \, c (t p_{y} - \frac{E}{c^{2}} \, y) \right)
[/tex]

thank you, but then how is the "contraction factor" of the angular momentum for Lz or any other coordinate, (simply) calculated?

I don't have a clue what a 'contraction factor for angular momentum' means. This is how the components of angular momentum are transformed when we go from one frame of reference to another.

scope said:
thank you, but then how is the "contraction factor" of the angular momentum for Lz or any other coordinate, (simply) calculated?

It doesn't reduce to a simple contraction factor. That's the point of #6.

Each Lorenz transformation can be composed of space rotations and a simple boost. It is clear how angular momentum transforms under simple space rotations. So, it remains to look for a simple boost affecting only, say, x and t coordinates. Then the contraction factor is the standard one.

arkajad said:
Each Lorenz transformation can be composed of space rotations and a simple boost. It is clear how angular momentum transforms under simple space rotations. So, it remains to look for a simple boost affecting only, say, x and t coordinates. Then the contraction factor is the standard one.

The only problem is that the angular momentum is a 2-fold (antisymmetric) tensor, so it carries two Lorentz indices and you might perform a rotation with respect to one of them and a boost with respect to the other.

Likes Spinnor
That is not a problem, because even when it has two indices, the same Lorentz transformation acts on both of them, not two different.

arkajad said:
No, it's a rank-2 tensor. It doesn't transform like a rank-1 tensor. Write out the tensor transformation law for a simple case, and you'll see that the result looks nothing like what you'd have for a 4-vector.

A tensor transforms under the tensor product of the representation. There is nothing mysterious about it. 2-tensor transforms with [tex]R\otimes R[/tex] where [tex]R[/tex] is the vector (or -co-vector) representation. Then there can be covariant and contravariant tensors. For a covariant tensor you need to take the contragradient representation - that's all.

Or, in simple terms, each index transforms with the same transformation matrix (perhaps a contragradient one).

Related to Lorentz transformations of the angular momentum

1. What are Lorentz transformations of angular momentum?

Lorentz transformations of angular momentum refer to the mathematical equations that describe how the angular momentum of an object changes as it moves through space and time in accordance with Einstein's theory of special relativity.

2. Why are Lorentz transformations important in physics?

Lorentz transformations are important in physics because they allow us to accurately describe the behavior of objects that are moving at high speeds, near the speed of light. They also play a crucial role in understanding the fundamental principles of relativity and the nature of space and time.

3. How do Lorentz transformations affect the conservation of angular momentum?

Lorentz transformations do not affect the conservation of angular momentum. This principle still holds true, meaning that the total angular momentum of a system remains constant in all reference frames, even when using Lorentz transformations.

4. Can Lorentz transformations be applied to all types of angular momentum?

Yes, Lorentz transformations can be applied to all types of angular momentum, including orbital angular momentum (the motion of an object around an axis) and spin angular momentum (the intrinsic angular momentum of particles).

5. Are there any real-world applications of Lorentz transformations of angular momentum?

Yes, Lorentz transformations of angular momentum have many real-world applications, particularly in the fields of particle physics and astrophysics. They are used to accurately describe the behavior of subatomic particles, as well as the motion of objects in space, such as planets and stars.