Lorentz Length Contraction Derivation

In summary, the video discusses length contraction in special relativity and the derivation of the Lorentz contraction equation. At one point, the uploader makes a mistake in the equation and a viewer points it out in the comments. The correct equation is given and viewers are encouraged to rearrange it to solve for L'. The conversation ends with the viewers discussing their progress and strategies for rearranging the equation.
ZedCar
In this video:

Special Relativity: Length contraction in more detail
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3ZqBt8KWVQ&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

for the derivation of Lorentz contraction equation at 2.48 the guy says, "I won't bore you with the details".

I'd appreciate is someone would please "bore" me with the details, as I'm struggling to do the algebra which he has not shown here in order to go to the next line.

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
If you look at the uploader's comments, he made a mistake in the video at that bit. The equation should be:
[tex]\frac{L'}{v+c} + \frac{L'}{-v+c} = \frac{2L}{c} \frac{1}{\sqrt{1- \frac{v^2}{c^2}}} [/tex]

From here, you need to rearrange.

Well spotted BruceW, I hadn't noticed that.

I'm trying to arrange the formula you have above so it's equal to L'

I can't seem to manage it.

Concerning the LHS, I was thinking of multiplying (-v + c) with L', and multiplying (v + c) with L', and multiplying (v + c) with (c - v) to obtain (c^2 - v^2) as the denominator.

Yes, so on the LHS you want a common denominator so you can group the L' terms, then you can rearrange to get L' alone.

The1337gamer said:
Yes, so on the LHS you want a common denominator so you can group the L' terms, then you can rearrange to get L' alone.

I know denominator I have (c^2 - v^2) can be rearranged to become (c-v)(c+v) and I have both of these individually multiplied with an L' on the numerator.

Am I going about this the right way? I'm not sure what do do next.

What have you got so far? Have you grouped the L' terms?

Is L' equal to

[L(c-v)(c+v)] / [c^2 * (1-v^2/c^2)^0.5]

Related to Lorentz Length Contraction Derivation

1. What is the Lorentz Length Contraction Derivation?

The Lorentz Length Contraction Derivation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the apparent shortening of an object in the direction of its motion, as observed by an outside observer, due to the effects of special relativity.

2. How does the Lorentz Length Contraction Derivation work?

The derivation is based on the principle of time dilation and the Lorentz transformation equations, which take into account the relative motion between the observer and the object. It involves manipulating these equations to calculate the change in the object's length.

3. What factors affect the amount of length contraction?

The amount of length contraction depends on the speed of the object and the observer's frame of reference. The closer the object's speed is to the speed of light, the greater the amount of contraction observed. Additionally, the direction of the object's motion in relation to the observer also affects the amount of contraction.

4. What is the significance of the Lorentz Length Contraction Derivation?

The derivation is a crucial aspect of special relativity and helps to explain the observed phenomena of length contraction in high-speed objects. It also plays a significant role in various fields such as astrophysics, particle physics, and engineering.

5. Are there any real-life applications of the Lorentz Length Contraction Derivation?

Yes, the Lorentz Length Contraction Derivation has many practical applications, such as in the design of particle accelerators, GPS systems, and spacecraft. It also helps in understanding the behavior of high-speed particles and the effects of relativity in everyday life.