Lorentz force on current-carrying wire

In summary, the problem involves finding the force on a quarter-circle wire in a uniform magnetic field, where the wire is carrying a current of 3.5A and has a radius of 0.75m. Two possible solutions are discussed, one using path-independence and the other using symmetry. The latter is simpler and involves treating the problem as a scalar integration. However, there may be a third approach using a parameterization and the arc-length formula, but it is not fully explored.
quasarpulse

Homework Statement

Given: a quarter-circle of wire (radius r=0.75m) in a uniform 1.7T magnetic field carrying a current of 3.5A (see diagram)
physproblem.png

Find: The force on the wire.

Note: the connecting wires delivering the current to the quarter circle are parallel to the magnetic field and experience no force.

Homework Equations

dF = I dS x B

The Attempt at a Solution

I know of two ways to solve this.

The first is to use the fact that the force is path-independent and use the F = I L x B formulation; we're not supposed to do that, as this is supposed to be a calculus problem.

The second is the way my instructor suggested to the class, which is to argue by symmetry that the force is directed at a 45 degree angle outward from the origin. I can then treat it like a scalar integration problem and use the fact that the magnitude of dS is r d(theta). It's really a quite simple problem this way, but it only works because the problem is particularly simple.

Having done vector calculus, I feel like there ought to be a third way to attack the thing; it should be possible to parameterize the curve and do something like a line integral. The advantage would be that the same approach would work for a messier problem, where e.g. the magnetic field was nonuniform so the direction wasn't plainly obvious. But I'm not quite sure where to begin. I've got the following parameterization:
x(t) = r sin t
y(t) = r cos t
z(t)=0
0 <= t <= pi/2
but I'm not sure where to go from there. Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't thought this through completely, but it seems the arc-length formula would be useful:

dS = (dx2 + dy2)1/2 = (1 + (dy/dx)2)1/2 dx

And then express dy and dx in terms of t and dt.

I would first commend the student for their thorough understanding of the problem and for considering multiple approaches to solving it. I would also agree that there may be other ways to solve the problem using vector calculus, but the two methods mentioned are both valid and efficient ways to solve the problem.

If the student wants to try using a line integral approach, they could start by defining the position vector of a point on the wire as r(t) = (r cos t)i + (r sin t)j + 0k, where t is the parameter along the curve (in this case, the angle theta). They could then use the definition of the Lorentz force, F = I dS x B, and take the cross product of dS and B to get a vector expression for the force. Then, they could integrate this force vector along the curve using the limits of t = 0 to t = pi/2. This would result in the same answer as the previous methods, but it may provide a more generalizable approach for more complex problems.

Overall, it is important for a scientist to approach problems in multiple ways and to consider the most efficient and accurate method for each specific situation. In this case, both methods presented by the student are valid and effective, and the decision to use one over the other may depend on the specific problem at hand.

Related to Lorentz force on current-carrying wire

1. What is the Lorentz force on a current-carrying wire?

The Lorentz force on a current-carrying wire is the force exerted on the wire due to the interaction between the electric current and the magnetic field. It is given by the equation F = I * L * B, where I is the current, L is the length of the wire, and B is the magnetic field strength.

2. How does the direction of the Lorentz force change with the direction of the current and magnetic field?

The direction of the Lorentz force is perpendicular to both the direction of the current and the direction of the magnetic field. This means that if the current or magnetic field changes direction, the direction of the Lorentz force will also change.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the Lorentz force?

The magnitude of the Lorentz force depends on the strength of the current, the length of the wire, and the strength of the magnetic field. The force increases with an increase in any of these factors.

4. How is the Lorentz force used in practical applications?

The Lorentz force is used in a variety of practical applications, such as in electric motors and generators, particle accelerators, and magnetic levitation systems. It is also used in the study of plasma physics and the behavior of charged particles in magnetic fields.

5. What happens to the Lorentz force when the wire is bent or twisted?

The Lorentz force on a current-carrying wire does not change when the wire is bent or twisted. However, the direction of the force may change depending on the orientation of the wire in the magnetic field. This is because the direction of the current changes in different parts of the wire.