Loop the Loop with Frictional Work

In summary: The normal force is a function of the distance from the center of the loop, so if you solve for the normal force at different points, you can get the force required to complete the loop.
10Exahertz
Question: If the Radius of the loop-the-loop is 10meters, from how high above the ground should the object be dropped in order to successfully complete the loop, with friction?

I attempted to solve it, but get the integral of cos(theta)dx, or more properly ds, and i do not know how to finish the equation and resolve this.
Thanks, Steven

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-03-29-16-37-57.png
    Screenshot_2015-03-29-16-37-57.png
    20.2 KB · Views: 411
Physics news on Phys.org
Friction just on the initial slope?
cos(theta) is constant, the integral should be easy to evaluate. What is the integral of a constant?

mfb said:
Friction just on the initial slope?
It sounds like the coefficient of friction applies all the way. I believe it is solvable, but a bit messy.
10Exahertx, please clarify.

Solvable by hand, but I would recommend using visual python to really get a grasp of what's going on there.

haruspex said:
It sounds like the coefficient of friction applies all the way. I believe it is solvable, but a bit messy.
10Exahertx, please clarify.
I think we had a similar thread a while ago, without a proper answer (and this and this thread also did not find one). The integral looks messy. Certainly not the type of homework you get in High School.

The question is indeed considering friction throughout the entire loop the loop, and I agree, the Integral gets very messy. This isn't for high school though, college.

Alright, show us your work.

Oh my gosh I am such an idiot. What I mean is have you made any progress?

No, it gets very weird, I tried to define cos(theta) in terms of x and s(the arclenght of the ramp) to make it solvable (I suppose like a gradient), but then I am left with a Theta somewhere in the equation because I cannot find a way to define x without using hsin(theta) or something like it.
I could find the gradient more easily if I knew the equation of the ramp, and knowing the equation of the ramp would make more sense in this case because friction is a path dependent, non consrvative force, so a different ramp yields different answers, right?

Consider the normal force at the bottom of the loop, halfway to the top of the loop, and at the top of the loop. What is the normal force at each of these points? Can you define the normal force as a function?

Upon further inspection of the problem, I realize that my solution is probably incorrect. I'll try to work it out, but I'm sure someone else will be along to help you.

Before we continue: @10Exahertz, please post the full and exact problem statement. This is part of the forum rules exactly to avoid confusion like you see it here.

If friction is considered for the whole loop, you probably want to set up a differential equation.

Related to Loop the Loop with Frictional Work

1. What is "Loop the Loop with Frictional Work"?

"Loop the Loop with Frictional Work" is a scientific concept that explains the forces and energy involved in a roller coaster completing a loop. It takes into account the frictional force acting on the roller coaster as it moves through the loop.

2. How does friction affect the loop-the-loop motion?

Friction is a force that opposes motion and can slow down or stop an object. In the case of a roller coaster, friction affects the loop-the-loop motion by reducing the speed of the roller coaster as it moves through the loop. This slowing down allows the roller coaster to stay on the track and complete the loop without flying off.

3. What is the role of energy in "Loop the Loop with Frictional Work"?

In "Loop the Loop with Frictional Work," energy is constantly being converted from potential energy (at the top of the loop) to kinetic energy (as the roller coaster moves through the loop) and back to potential energy (as the roller coaster reaches the top of the loop again). Frictional work also plays a role by converting some of the energy into heat, causing the roller coaster to lose some of its speed.

4. How does the mass of the roller coaster affect "Loop the Loop with Frictional Work"?

The mass of the roller coaster affects "Loop the Loop with Frictional Work" in several ways. A heavier roller coaster will have more inertia, meaning it will require more energy to move through the loop. This can result in a slower and smoother ride. However, a lighter roller coaster may require less energy to move through the loop, but it may also experience more force from the track and have a more intense ride.

5. What factors contribute to a successful "Loop the Loop with Frictional Work"?

A successful "Loop the Loop with Frictional Work" requires a balance between the forces acting on the roller coaster. The design of the loop, including its height and radius, must be carefully calculated to ensure the roller coaster has enough speed and energy to complete the loop without flying off the track. Additionally, the mass and shape of the roller coaster must be taken into consideration to ensure a smooth and safe ride.