Looking to get a list of science books commonly used nationally?

In summary, the conversation is about the speaker's search for a list of popular Science/Mathematics textbooks that are commonly used in Middle School-High School. They are doing research for a thesis on the lack of introduction of history in science education and are looking to gather data on how many textbooks include this aspect. They are considering using a list of best selling high school textbooks from Barnes and Noble for their research.
korr2221
I'm unsure if this is the right place to post this but I am looking for a list of popular Science/Mathematics textbooks that are commonly used nationally from Middle School-High School?

I am doing a research paper. In my thesis I feel as if the history of science is not introduced enough. Most kids have little or no idea on any aspects of how some of the things have came about.

I am looking to gather some data to see in general how many textbooks introduces some kind of history in the science topics they're learning or somehow show diversity in science?

I feel as if I just go to Barnes and Nobles and pick out random books and make a generalization that most books do not introduce this wouldn't prove anything because there's so many. Instead I want to just show that some of the popular ones does not do this. Any idea where I can find a list of books that most schools use?

Thanks.

I've came up with the idea of just using the best selling high school textbooks on barnes and noble. Is this feasible?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Depending on your country, I would assume that the ministry of education (nationally or regionally) would keep a list of books approved for use in publicly funded schools.

I do agree that teaching kids the historical context of science can make it much more meaningful. However, I am not sure what you mean by "diversity in science?"

Related to Looking to get a list of science books commonly used nationally?

1. What are some popular science books used nationwide?

Some popular science books used nationwide include "A Brief History of Time" by Stephen Hawking, "The Selfish Gene" by Richard Dawkins, "Silent Spring" by Rachel Carson, "Cosmos" by Carl Sagan, and "The Origin of Species" by Charles Darwin.

2. Are there any science books that are commonly used in classrooms?

Yes, there are several science books that are commonly used in classrooms, such as "Biology" by Campbell and Reece, "Chemistry: The Central Science" by Brown, LeMay, and Bursten, and "Physics for Scientists and Engineers" by Serway and Jewett.

3. Can you recommend any science books for beginners?

Some recommended science books for beginners include "A Short History of Nearly Everything" by Bill Bryson, "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks" by Rebecca Skloot, "The Elegant Universe" by Brian Greene, and "The Demon-Haunted World" by Carl Sagan.

4. Are there any science books that cover multiple subjects?

Yes, there are several science books that cover multiple subjects, such as "The Theory of Everything" by Stephen Hawking, "The Emperor of All Maladies" by Siddhartha Mukherjee, and "The Invention of Nature" by Andrea Wulf.

5. Are there any science books recommended for children?

Some science books recommended for children include "The Magic School Bus" series by Joanna Cole, "The Way Things Work" by David Macaulay, and "Gutsy Girls Go For Science: Astronauts" by Karen Bush Gibson.