Looking for Textbook Suggestions

In summary, the conversation discusses a student's experience with using Fubini's theorem in a double integral homework and on a test, and the teacher's demand for proof from a textbook before giving credit. The student eventually finds the proof in a "special case" section of a textbook and receives a lower grade due to the teacher's assumption that they were just guessing. The teacher also warns about the equation being "dangerous" if the condition of absolute integrability is ignored.
wintermute++
Funny story, or maybe I'm just dumb and don't understand why my professor is being all petulant about this.

∫∫h(x,y)dA

If z = h(x,y) and h(x,y) = f(x)g(y)

∫∫f(x)g(y)dxdy = ∫f(x)dx∫g(y)dy

I did this on my own while working through some double integral hw. Seems obvious, and the answers were always correct. Used it on the test, got a 0 for each question I did. Was told to prove it for credit, so I did.

No credit given. Now the teacher demands I give him a single page from a textbook with this in it before I can earn credit and I'm pissed because it's not in any of our libraries textbooks, yet I've found googledocs from other universities that show it as an example.

Sooooo please, please. If any of you out there have a textbook with this example in it, please tell me what it is so I can hunt a copy down and not get a fail where I should have had a 92. I will owe you one cookie for your efforts.

Physics news on Phys.org
I know of Fubini's Theorem. Surprisingly though, I had to pirate about 25 Calculus textbooks to find my exact proof, written how I did it, and I only found that in a "special case" section in a Stewart textbook.

I only got an 8/10 instead of a 10/10 though, because the professor assumed I was just guessing. Despite my sending him the proof. Whatever, I'm only 1/5 pissed off anymore.

The Professor also warned me about it being a "dangerous" equation for some reason. Any explanation for that?

It is dangerous if the condition of absolute integrability is ignored, as the result need not hold in that case.

Related to Looking for Textbook Suggestions

1. What should I consider when looking for textbook suggestions?

When looking for textbook suggestions, it is important to consider the subject you are studying, the level of difficulty you need, and the specific topics or concepts you want to focus on. It is also helpful to research reviews and ratings from other students or professors to ensure the textbook is reputable and effective.

2. How can I find the best textbooks for my field of study?

To find the best textbooks for your field of study, it is recommended to consult with professors or academic advisors who have experience in the subject. Additionally, you can search for recommended textbooks on credible websites or online forums dedicated to your field of study.

3. Are there any affordable textbook options available?

Yes, there are affordable textbook options available such as used textbooks, renting textbooks, or purchasing digital versions. It is also worth checking with your university's library or online databases to see if the textbook is available for free or at a discounted price.

4. Can I use older editions of textbooks instead of the latest edition?

In some cases, using an older edition of a textbook may be acceptable. However, it is important to consult with your professor to ensure the information and content is still relevant and up-to-date. Sometimes, older editions may have outdated information or may not cover all the necessary topics.

5. How do I know if a textbook is a good fit for my learning style?

It can be helpful to preview the textbook before purchasing or renting to see if the layout, organization, and writing style align with your learning preferences. Additionally, reading reviews from other students or consulting with your professor can give insight into the textbook's suitability for your learning style.