Looking for info about cluster orbitals

• Thread starter phz
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Orbitals
In summary, the 1d orbital is present in an Al2-cluster but not in a H-atom due to the different structures of the two systems.
phz
Looking for info about "cluster orbitals"

Homework Statement

Why is the orbital 1d present in eg an Al2-cluster but not in a H-atom?

Homework Equations

-

The Attempt at a Solution

This is a question for an assignment. The answer is probably not meant to be very elaborate, "Because it is specific for a cluster which differs from a single atom" probably suffices (the question isn't formulated exactly like I wrote before, it is about interpreting a diagram. My own wording of the question might even have made it faulty for all I know), but there is no info about cluster orbitals in my course literature ("Quantum mechanics" by Robinett), and all the references I can find on Google are to advanced it seems, I can't find a basic explanation of what it is. I'm just curious :-)

Before (for the atoms we've studied) the rule has always been that if n=1 as in this case, the only allowed values for l is { 0, 1, ..., n-1 }, but in a 1d-construction it seems that n=1 and l=2. Confusing for me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cluster orbitals are specific to molecules and ions made up of multiple atoms. The 1d orbital in an Al2-cluster is a molecular orbital that is created by the overlap of the 1s orbitals from both atoms in the cluster. This orbital is not present in a single H-atom because it is specific to the geometry of the Al2-cluster.

Related to Looking for info about cluster orbitals

1. What are cluster orbitals?

Cluster orbitals refer to a type of molecular orbital that involves the combination of atomic orbitals from multiple atoms in a molecule or solid. They can also be thought of as a hybrid of atomic orbitals.

2. How are cluster orbitals different from atomic orbitals?

Cluster orbitals differ from atomic orbitals in that they involve the combination of multiple atomic orbitals, rather than just one. They also have different energies and shapes compared to atomic orbitals.

3. What is the significance of cluster orbitals in chemistry?

Cluster orbitals are important in understanding the electronic structure and properties of molecules and solids. They can help explain the bonding and reactivity of compounds and materials.

4. How are cluster orbitals calculated or determined?

Cluster orbitals are typically calculated using quantum mechanical methods, such as Hartree-Fock or density functional theory. These calculations involve solving the Schrödinger equation for the combined atomic orbitals.

5. Can cluster orbitals be observed or measured experimentally?

While cluster orbitals cannot be directly observed, their effects can be seen through various spectroscopic techniques. For example, X-ray crystallography can provide information on the arrangement of atoms and their orbitals in a solid material.