Looking for descriptive material about log inequalities.

In summary, the conversation discusses the lack of explanation in a book regarding the steps involved in solving a rational inequality. The speaker expresses frustration with the lack of resources and requests further material to better understand the procedure. They also ask for an example and mention that the topic is a subset of a larger course.
Willowz
So, I have this book that doesn't explain why you have to first find the domain, consolidate logs, solve the function as a rational inequality, find the key numbers, then find which numbers of the key numbers are actually in the domain according to the inequality, and finally write out the solution set. It just gives examples.

Now that's dandy and all but it's not enough (at least not for me). I can understand that the teacher doesn't have time to go through the whole material and expects the student to do this at home. But, I have not found good material on this topic (in the textbook or online). Can someone provide some descriptive/graphical material on the meaning behind these procedures that must be taken. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What you describe sounds like an interesting procedure, but I can't quite visualize it from your description. Could you give an example? What course is this material a subset of?

Related to Looking for descriptive material about log inequalities.

1. What is a log inequality?

A log inequality is a mathematical statement that compares two logarithmic expressions using the symbols <, >, ≤, or ≥. It is used to express the relationship between two quantities that are represented by logarithms.

2. What are some examples of log inequalities?

Examples of log inequalities include log(x) > log(y), log(x) ≤ log(y), and log(x) ≥ log(y). These statements compare the logarithmic expressions of two different quantities, such as numbers or variables.

3. How do I solve a log inequality?

To solve a log inequality, you can use the properties of logarithms to simplify the expression and then isolate the variable on one side of the inequality sign. Remember to always check your solution by plugging it back into the original inequality.

4. What are some real-life applications of log inequalities?

Log inequalities are commonly used in finance and economics, as well as in science and engineering. They can be used to model exponential growth and decay, as well as to analyze data on a logarithmic scale.

5. Are there any rules or guidelines for working with log inequalities?

Yes, there are a few rules to keep in mind when working with log inequalities. These include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and change of base rule. It is also important to remember that the domain of a logarithmic expression must be greater than zero.