Looking for Books on Hyperbolic Geometry: Any Suggestions?

In summary, a professor at an award ceremony gave a fast lecture on Hyperbolic Geometry and mentioned a textbook on geometry that covers various geometries including hyperbolic. The speaker found this topic interesting and is looking for recommendations on further reading. They suggest having a strong foundation in linear algebra, abstract algebra, and topology before diving into geometry and recommend two books: one for non-Euclidean geometry and one for Euclidean geometry.
Wrichik Basu
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
Today, I was at an award ceremony, where in one out of the two scientific lectures, the professor was teaching the basics of Hyperbolic Geometery. However, due to time constraints, he had to teach very fast, and there was no laser pointer, nor a chalkboard, so he couldn't explain very well, though he wanted to (as that is his research topic).

I found it interesting to see how Hyperbolic Geometery differs from Euclidean Geometery, and I would like to learn more. Can anyone suggest good book(s) on the topic?

Physics news on Phys.org
There's a nice undergraduate textbook on geometry, Brannan, Esplen, Gray, which contains intro to affine, projective, inversive, hyperbolic and elliptic geometries.

Likes Buffu
Wrichik Basu said:
Today, I was at an award ceremony, where in one out of the two scientific lectures, the professor was teaching the basics of Hyperbolic Geometery. However, due to time constraints, he had to teach very fast, and there was no laser pointer, nor a chalkboard, so he couldn't explain very well, though he wanted to (as that is his research topic).

I found it interesting to see how Hyperbolic Geometery differs from Euclidean Geometery, and I would like to learn more. Can anyone suggest good book(s) on the topic?

Non-Euclidean geometry is studied both in differential geometry and algebraic geometry. You need a strong base in linear algebra, abstract algebra and a bit of topology to learn algebraic geometry; differential geometry requires multivariable calculus, linear algebra, analysis and topology. At bare minimum you need linear algebra and multivariable calculus for differential geometry; Linear algebra and a bit of abstract algebra for Algebraic geometry. I suggest you look into these subjects before diving into geometry.

Anyways I suggest https://www.amazon.com/dp/082187571X/?tag=pfamazon01-20 for Non-Euclidean geometry and https://www.amazon.com/dp/3540434984/?tag=pfamazon01-20 for.Euclidean geometry.

Likes Dragon27

Related to Looking for Books on Hyperbolic Geometry: Any Suggestions?

1. What is hyperbolic geometry?

Hyperbolic geometry is a non-Euclidean geometry with a different set of axioms than traditional Euclidean geometry. It is characterized by the property that the sum of the angles of a triangle is less than 180 degrees, and it has no parallel lines.

2. How is hyperbolic geometry used in books?

Books on hyperbolic geometry often use this type of geometry to explore abstract mathematical concepts and to illustrate the principles of non-Euclidean geometry. They may also use hyperbolic geometry to explain real-world phenomena, such as the curved space-time in Einstein's theory of general relativity.

3. What are some examples of books on hyperbolic geometry?

Some popular books on hyperbolic geometry include "The Hyperbolic Geometry of Minkowski Space" by Frank Morgan, "An Introduction to Hyperbolic Geometry" by Robert D. Richtmyer, and "Hyperbolic Geometry and Applications in Quantum Chaos and Cosmology" by M. C. Gutzwiller.

4. Is hyperbolic geometry relevant in modern science?

Yes, hyperbolic geometry is relevant in many areas of modern science, including theoretical physics, cosmology, and mathematics. It is also used in computer graphics and animation to create visually stunning and mathematically accurate 3D models.

5. Are there any practical applications of hyperbolic geometry?

Yes, hyperbolic geometry has practical applications in various fields, such as architecture and engineering. For example, it is used in the design of hyperbolic paraboloid structures, which are known for their strength and stability. Additionally, hyperbolic geometry has been used to model the spread of diseases and to analyze social networks.