Looking for a MHD simulation (Magnito-Hydro-Dynamics)

In summary: With some dedication and effort, you can create a custom simulator that meets your specific needs. In summary, there is currently no free or open source simulator available for magnetohydrodynamics that meets all of the specified requirements. However, there are some commercial options and resources available for those interested in creating their own simulation software.
FireStorm000
I'm looking for a simulator for magnetism and fluid dynamics(with the objective of modeling atmospheric reentry), and was wondering if anyone knew of one(preferably free/open source). If anyone feels like searching(I couldn't find anything) the field is called magnetohydrodynamics.

In the event there isn't such a program readily available, then I'm seriously considering writing a quick and dirty one myself. I think I'm sufficiently proficient with the computer and programming aspect, though I would need some help with the math. The simulator needs:
--run on Windows 7 or Ubuntu(11.4); Either one is fine.
--Implement all of maxwell's equations
--Be capable of modeling hypersonic airflows, under the influence of potentially changing electric and magnetic fields.
--Be capable of tracking temperature of the airflow and applying ionization in sufficiently high energy collisions
--Calculate gray body emissions and absorption for all involved particles

If anyone could help me either in locating a program fitting those specifications or with the math involved in designing one I would be very grateful.

Science news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, there is no free or open source simulator available that meets all of the requirements you have set out. There are some commercial software packages available, such as COMSOL Multiphysics, that may be able to help you with your magnetohydrodynamics simulations. However, these packages can be quite expensive depending on the features and capabilities you need. If you are looking to create your own simulation software, then you will need to start with a good understanding of the mathematics and physics involved in magnetohydrodynamics. There are several books and resources available online that can help you learn the fundamentals. Additionally, there are many existing codes and algorithms that you can use as a starting point for your own development.

Related to Looking for a MHD simulation (Magnito-Hydro-Dynamics)

1. What is a MHD simulation and why is it important in scientific research?

A MHD simulation is a computer-based model that uses the principles of magnito-hydro-dynamics to simulate the behavior of a plasma or fluid. This type of simulation is important in scientific research because it allows scientists to study complex phenomena that cannot be easily observed or replicated in a laboratory setting.

2. What types of systems can be simulated using MHD simulations?

MHD simulations can be used to simulate a wide range of systems, including astrophysical plasmas, laboratory plasmas, and terrestrial fluid dynamics. These simulations are particularly useful for studying the behavior of plasmas in the presence of strong magnetic fields.

3. What are the benefits of using MHD simulations over traditional experimental methods?

MHD simulations offer several advantages over traditional experimental methods. Firstly, they can be used to study phenomena that are not easily accessible in a laboratory setting. Additionally, MHD simulations are often more cost-effective and time-efficient than conducting experiments. They also allow for more precise control over the simulation parameters, making it easier to isolate and study specific phenomena.

4. How are MHD simulations validated and verified?

MHD simulations are typically validated and verified by comparing the results of the simulation to experimental data or analytical solutions. This involves checking that the simulation accurately predicts the behavior of the system under specific conditions and making adjustments as needed to improve the accuracy of the simulation.

5. What are some current areas of research that utilize MHD simulations?

MHD simulations are used in a wide range of scientific research, including astrophysics, fusion energy, and geophysics. Some specific areas of research that utilize MHD simulations include solar wind dynamics, stellar magnetism, and the behavior of plasmas in fusion reactors. Additionally, MHD simulations are also used in engineering applications, such as designing and optimizing flow control systems.