Looking for a linear algebra book

In summary, the conversation discusses a quantum mechanics course and the need for a good linear algebra book to supplement the material. Various recommendations are given, including Hassani's Mathematical Physics, Don Koks' Explorations in Mathematical Physics, Halmos' Finite Dimensional Vector Spaces, MIT ocw 8.05 lecture notes, "Linear Algebra Done Wrong" by Sergei Treil, "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Axler, and Hoffman/Kunze's Linear Algebra. The conversation ends with the individual thanking everyone for their suggestions and mentioning that they are currently using these resources to better understand the first chapter of Sakurai's book.
Jimmy000
Hello all,
I am about a week into a quantum mechanics course in which the instructor is mostly going to follow along with Sakurai's Modern Quantum Mechanics. However, my linear algebra is pretty rusty and I have never taken an actual course in linear algebra, I have just learned what I have needed for different classes. Right now I am reviewing the formalism chapter of Griffiths Intro to QM, and working through Sakurai CH1. Can anyone recommend a good linear algebra book which will help me round out my linear algebra knowledge and put me on better footing for this course?

Physics news on Phys.org
I learned a great deal of linear algebra from reading Hassani's book, Mathematical Physics. He uses the Dirac notation consistently and that's nice. Another book that was really helpful is Don Koks' book, Explorations in Mathematical Physics, especially the first chapter. If you would like more of a mathematician's intro, Halmos' book, Finite Dimensional Vector Spaces, is a classic.

Likes Jimmy000
Thanks!

Very cool, thanks!

chapter 1 in sakurai has pretty intense linear algebra, but if you're able to follow with it, then i doubt you would need another resource.

I found MIT ocw 8.05 lecture notes to be incredibly helpful for qm linear algebra, specially when coupled with libear algebra done right.

Likes Jimmy000
Ahmad Kishki said:
chapter 1 in sakurai has pretty intense linear algebra, but if you're able to follow with it, then i doubt you would need another resource.

I found MIT ocw 8.05 lecture notes to be incredibly helpful for qm linear algebra, specially when coupled with libear algebra done right.

Here are the MIT lecture notes for LA:
http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/physics/...all-2013/lecture-notes/MIT8_05F13_Chap_03.pdf

Likes Jimmy000
Likes Anama Skout and Jimmy000
Hoffman/Kunze's Linear Algebra! The book is very thorough and challenging at the same time.

Likes Jimmy000
Thank you all so much! I am now wading through these resources, which are helping to shed light on the why and background of what Sakurai is talking about in the first chapter.

Related to Looking for a linear algebra book

1. What is linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of linear equations and their properties. It involves the use of matrices, vectors, and systems of equations to represent and solve problems in fields such as engineering, physics, and computer science.

2. Why do I need to learn linear algebra?

Linear algebra is a fundamental tool in many areas of science and engineering. It is used in fields such as computer graphics, data analysis, signal processing, and quantum mechanics. Understanding linear algebra can also help in developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills.

3. What should I look for in a linear algebra book?

When looking for a linear algebra book, you should consider the level of detail and examples provided, the clarity of explanations, and the availability of practice problems and solutions. It is also important to choose a book that aligns with your learning style and goals.

4. Are there any recommended linear algebra books for beginners?

Some popular linear algebra books for beginners include "Introduction to Linear Algebra" by Gilbert Strang, "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Sheldon Axler, and "Linear Algebra: A Modern Introduction" by David Poole. It is always best to read reviews and compare different books to find the one that best suits your needs.

5. Can I learn linear algebra without a book?

While a book can be a helpful resource in learning linear algebra, there are also other ways to learn. Online courses, video tutorials, and practice problems can also be effective in understanding the concepts of linear algebra. However, having a comprehensive textbook can provide a structured and thorough understanding of the subject.