Looking for a book to replace Arfken

• Other
  • Thread starter PhysicsPrincess
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book
In summary, the conversation is about a student seeking a good textbook to study for their upcoming Mathematical Methods III exam. They have covered variation calculus, Fourier analysis, and partial differential equations including spherical harmonies and boundary problems. The student finds their assigned textbook, Arfken's Mathematical Methods for Physicists, to be difficult and is looking for alternative books with clear and simple explanations and a variety of problems and exercises at different difficulty levels. Some recommended books mentioned are Boas' book on Fourier analysis, Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics by Byron/Fuller, Theoretical Physics by Joos, S. Hassani's Mathematical Physics, and Morse and Feshbach's Hilbert-Courant.
PhysicsPrincess
Hi :)
Okay so next month I have an exam in the course Mathematical Methods III and I desperately need a good textbook to study from.
We covered variation calculus,fourier analysis and partial differential equations including sphrical harmonies (legendre polynomials) and various boundary problems.
This course was very intense and the problem sets were extremely difficult. We were assigned Arfken's Mathmatical Methods for physicists book but I find it very hard to work with it.

I'm looking for books about the subjects mentioned above that have CLEAR AND SIMPLE explanations that would fit an undergraduate student and a variety of problems and exercises in different difficulty levels.

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
Umm can you recommend texts that are more specific about each one of these subjects?

About that -
jedishrfu said:
How about Boas' book:

I already went through Boas's part about Fourier analysis and it didn't really cover our course.. Same goes with spherical harmonies and boundary problems..

Thanks again

Mathematics of Classical and Quantum Physics by Byron/Fuller, and Theoretical Physics by Joos are terrific I hear. They are Dover and can both be bought for $40, so I think its a worthy investment!

I like S. Hassani, Mathematical Physics, Springer.

Morse and Feshbach, if you like for a very rigorous treatment without exercises try Hilbert- Courant.

Both books will make a good mathematical physicist out of you!

Likes vanhees71

Related to Looking for a book to replace Arfken

1. What is Arfken and why would I need to replace it?

Arfken is a well-known textbook on mathematical methods for physicists and engineers. It covers topics such as differential equations, complex analysis, and vector calculus. It may need to be replaced if you are looking for a different perspective or more updated information.

2. Are there any books that cover similar topics as Arfken?

Yes, there are many books that cover similar topics as Arfken. Some popular options include "Mathematical Methods in the Physical Sciences" by Mary L. Boas and "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by George B. Arfken and Hans J. Weber.

3. What are some criteria I should consider when looking for a book to replace Arfken?

When looking for a book to replace Arfken, it is important to consider the level of detail, the writing style, and the relevance to your specific field of study. You may also want to look for more recent publications that may have updated information and techniques.

4. Can I find free or discounted alternatives to Arfken?

Yes, there are some free or discounted alternatives to Arfken. You can check online resources such as OpenStax or MIT OpenCourseWare for free textbooks. You can also look for used copies of textbooks or ebooks for discounted prices.

5. How can I determine if a book is a suitable replacement for Arfken?

To determine if a book is a suitable replacement for Arfken, you can read reviews and summaries of the book, check the table of contents, and even preview a few chapters if possible. You can also consult with your peers or professors for their recommendations and opinions.