Loneliness for PhD Students: Finding Companionship

In summary: PhD, you'll have more than enough time to worry about relationships. In summary, PhD students sometimes don't have much company.
humanino
PhD students sometimes don't have much company :frown:
I know there are some here. Since GD forum is currently invaded by very serious subjects, I thought I ought to share the link :

http://www.swi.psy.uva.nl/projects/il/blues/

Common guys ! Cheer up. Only a few years remaining before unemployment :smile: :mad: :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
:bugeye: the dutch version is good :biggrin: :smile:

Bravo ! Bravo !

LOL! I think I'll print out the lyrics and post them in the lab. :smile: Those of us in biological fields don't get quite as lonely...we always have our rats to talk to :biggrin:

Heh I think I sense an element of honest truth in those lyrics, and it may have sealed my fate as a permanent undergraduate :D

Join us in the endless rewardless quest of knowledge :devil:

lol, I sent it to my friends. The dutch version really is better than the english one :-p

Moonbear said:
LOL! I think I'll print out the lyrics and post them in the lab. :smile: Those of us in biological fields don't get quite as lonely...we always have our rats to talk to :biggrin:

Haven't you ever come across a physicist cursing his Cold Cathode Gauges (and then regretting it and begging for forgiveness - these things don't take too kindly to insult), or pleading with his Cryostat to behave ?

We talk to our rats...ooops, our kind and gentle equipment all the time. :approve:

Gokul43201 said:
Haven't you ever come across a physicist cursing his Cold Cathode Gauges (and then regretting it and begging for forgiveness - these things don't take too kindly to insult), or pleading with his Cryostat to behave ?

We talk to our rats...ooops, our kind and gentle equipment all the time. :approve:

Oh, I plead with equipment too, but it's not the same as having live animals for company.

Physicists seem to put up with a lot more than biologists though. I visited one physicist whose office was in an underground bunker type building, and prominently posted on the door was a sign warning "target room." They had converted an old laser target room into offices, but only in the most minimal sense (in other words, they stuck a few desks and filing cabinets amidst the concrete barriers). I asked him if he thought it might be a warning of some sort when they put his desk in the middle of the target room. :biggrin: Then again, he was pretty weird. I think they had deprived him of human contact too long. His idea of a good first date was to show me his qualifying exam and tell me how easy it was, that even I could have solved the problems with the limited physics I had learned (I was never sure if that was a compliment or put-down)...needless to say, I decided we were better off as "just friends."

humanino said:
PhD students sometimes don't have much company :frown:
I know there are some here. Since GD forum is currently invaded by very serious subjects, I thought I ought to share the link :

http://www.swi.psy.uva.nl/projects/il/blues/

Common guys ! Cheer up. Only a few years remaining before unemployment :smile: :mad: :smile:
You will always be in good company here. :approve:

That was great! :biggrin:

Last edited by a moderator:
Monique said:
lol, I sent it to my friends. The dutch version really is better than the english one :-p

I'm listening to the Dutch version now, and I agree...even though I don't understand any of the words. You can tell it's the language the performers are more comfortable with, the Dutch version has a lot more feeling to the performance (and rhymes better too). I'll have to forward this on to my Dutch colleagues.

Moonbear said:
I was never sure if that was a compliment or put-down
It was a compliment :redface:

I did not commit that, I know them

Evo said:
You will always be in good company here.
Thank you Evo :smile:
That is why I first came here and called myself "humanino" : to stick to with as many human superpartner as possible. A fastidious physicist (sorry Marlon) will tell you, I should have called myself "shuman". I found it too indian :smile:

[thread=42036]Superpartners[/thread]

humanino said:
It was a compliment :redface:

I did not commit that, I know them

Well, good to have that cleared up after all these years. Please, for everyone here who always asks for relationship advice, never resort to discussing qualifying exams on a first date, and more importantly, NEVER actually take out the questions and show them to your date, and NEVER NEVER EVER actually go through the solutions to the problems! :bugeye:

Something you have to learn to do in grad school...work hard and play hard! When you get the rare opportunity to take a day off and do something fun, go all out and have a huge party or take a crazy trip somewhere, just have fun!

Moonbear said:
Please, for everyone here who always asks for relationship advice, never resort to discussing qualifying exams on a first date, and more importantly, NEVER actually take out the questions and show them to your date, and NEVER NEVER EVER actually go through the solutions to the problems! :bugeye:
Poor guy, someone probably gave him dating advice "just talk about something you know about and you'll do fine". :smile:

Related to Loneliness for PhD Students: Finding Companionship

1. What is loneliness and why is it a common issue for PhD students?

Loneliness is a feeling of isolation and disconnection from others. For PhD students, this can be a common issue due to the demanding and isolating nature of the program. Students often spend long hours working on their research, which can lead to a lack of social interaction and feelings of loneliness.

2. How can loneliness affect the mental health of PhD students?

Loneliness can have negative effects on the mental health of PhD students. It can lead to feelings of depression, anxiety, and low self-esteem. It can also impact their academic performance and motivation to complete their research.

3. What are some ways for PhD students to combat loneliness?

One way to combat loneliness is to actively seek out social interactions. This can include joining clubs or organizations, attending networking events, or participating in group study sessions. It's also important for PhD students to make time for self-care and to prioritize their mental health.

4. Can finding companionship help with feelings of loneliness for PhD students?

Yes, finding companionship can be beneficial for PhD students who are struggling with loneliness. This can include forming friendships with fellow students, finding a mentor or advisor who they can connect with, or even adopting a pet for companionship.

5. Are there any resources available specifically for PhD students dealing with loneliness?

Yes, there are resources available for PhD students who are struggling with loneliness. Many universities have counseling services or support groups specifically for graduate students. Additionally, there are online communities and forums where PhD students can connect with others who may be experiencing similar feelings of loneliness.