Locus and hyperbolic functions

In summary, the locus of the point \left(\dfrac{a(cosh\theta + 1)}{2cosh\theta},\dfrac{b(cosh\theta - 1)}{2sinh\theta}\right) has equation x(4y^2 + b^2) = ab^2 when working through the steps of finding the locus. The final step involves spotting the factor of a^2 - 4bx that leads to the simplified equation -b^2a^2 + 2ab^2x - b^2x^2 = 4y^2x^2 - 4ay^2x.
synkk
show that the locus of the point [itex] \left(\dfrac{a(cosh\theta + 1)}{2cosh\theta},\dfrac{b(cosh\theta - 1)}{2sinh\theta}\right) [/itex]
has equation x(4y^2 + b^2) = ab^2

working: http://gyazo.com/4c96af128d0293bce7f18029c2f54b0d
where have I gone wrong :(

Physics news on Phys.org
Your 5th and 6th lines each have the form <some expression> = 1. The second should have something other than 1 on the right hand side.

synkk said:
show that the locus of the point [itex] \left(\dfrac{a(cosh\theta + 1)}{2cosh\theta},\dfrac{b(cosh\theta - 1)}{2sinh\theta}\right) [/itex]
has equation x(4y^2 + b^2) = ab^2

working: http://gyazo.com/4c96af128d0293bce7f18029c2f54b0d
where have I gone wrong :(

I have to say that the image of your work is very poor quality. IMO, you are lucky that haruspex took the time to decipher your hard-to-read work. I'm sure that many others wouldn't bother.

haruspex said:
Your 5th and 6th lines each have the form <some expression> = 1. The second should have something other than 1 on the right hand side.

see below

Mark44 said:
I have to say that the image of your work is very poor quality. IMO, you are lucky that haruspex took the time to decipher your hard-to-read work. I'm sure that many others wouldn't bother.

Apologies, I thought it was fine.

working:

[itex] x = \dfrac{a(cosh\theta + 1)}{2cosh\theta} [/itex][itex] y = \dfrac{b(cosh\theta - a)}{2sinh\theta} [/itex]

rearranging x = ... for cosh theta:

[itex] cosh\theta = \dfrac{a}{2x - a} [/itex]
subbing this into y = ...

[itex] y = \dfrac{b(\dfrac{2a-2x}{2x-a})}{2sinh\theta} [/itex]
rearranging for sinh:

[itex] sinh\theta = \dfrac{b(a-x)}{y(2x-a)} [/itex]

now using [itex] cosh^2\theta - sinh^2\theta = 1 [/itex]
[itex] \dfrac{a^2}{(2x-a)^2} - \dfrac{b^2(a-x)^2}{y^2(2x-a)^2} = 1 [/itex]
[itex] y^2a^2 - b^2(a-x)^2 = y^2(2x-a)^2 [/itex]
[itex] y^2a^2 - b^2(a^2-2ax + x^2) = y^2(4x^2 - 4ax + a^2) [/itex]
[itex] -b^2a^2 + 2ab^2x - b^2x^2 = 4y^2x^2 - 4ay^2x [/itex]

not sure where to go from here

synkk said:
[itex] -b^2a^2 + 2ab^2x - b^2x^2 = 4y^2x^2 - 4ay^2x [/itex]

not sure where to go from here
You're almost there. Just need to spot a factor.

haruspex said:
You're almost there. Just need to spot a factor.

spotted it, thank you.

Related to Locus and hyperbolic functions

1. What is a locus?

A locus is a set of points that satisfy a particular geometric condition. For example, the locus of points equidistant from a given point is a circle.

2. What are hyperbolic functions?

Hyperbolic functions are a group of mathematical functions that are analogs of the trigonometric functions. They are defined in terms of exponential functions and have properties similar to the trigonometric functions.

3. How are locus and hyperbolic functions related?

The hyperbolic functions can be used to define the locus of points that satisfy certain conditions. For example, the locus of points equidistant from two given points can be described using hyperbolic functions.

4. What is the Hyperbolic Locus Theorem?

The Hyperbolic Locus Theorem states that the locus of points equidistant from two given points is a hyperbola. This theorem is a fundamental concept in hyperbolic geometry.

5. What are some real-world applications of locus and hyperbolic functions?

Locus and hyperbolic functions have many applications in mathematics and engineering. They are used in the design of bridges and other structures, as well as in the analysis of electromagnetic fields and control systems. They also have applications in physics, such as in the study of special relativity.