Locating Image & Calculating Magnification for Figure P23.50

In summary, the object in Figure P23.50 is midway between the lens and the mirror. The mirror's radius of curvature is 20.4 cm, and the lens has a focal length of -16.9 cm. Considering only the light that leaves the object and travels first toward the mirror, locate the final image formed by this system. What is the overall magnification of the image?
floridianfisher

Homework Statement

The object in Figure P23.50 is midway between the lens and the mirror. The mirror's radius of curvature is 20.4 cm, and the lens has a focal length of -16.9 cm.
http://www.webassign.net/sf5/p23_54.gif

Figure P23.50
A. Considering only the light that leaves the object and travels first toward the mirror, locate the final image formed by this system.

B.What is the overall magnification of the image?

Homework Equations

1/p+ 1/q = 2/R and M=-q/p

The Attempt at a Solution

I tried the problem this way
1/12.5 +1/q = 2/20.4 so q=55.43 then I found M for the mirror 55.43/12.5 = 4.43
then I found q lens =25-55.43= -30.43 and M = -(-16.9/-30.43) = 0.56
So final image is 30.43-25= 5.43cm behind the mirror and M tot=4.43*0.56= 2.5
These are not the right answers though. Can anyone help?

Physics news on Phys.org
It seems to me that everything you have in the parts of the problem concerning the mirror is correct. You seem to be confused when you consider the light going through the lens.

Think of this as two separate problems. You solved the first one by finding the image from the mirror. In the second problem, the image from the mirror becomes the object for the lens. You have the right object distance for the lens, that is, the distance of the mirror image from the lens is -30.43 . This is the object distance,p, for the lens, not the image distance, q, as you said.

So for the lens, the object distance p=-30.43, q=?, and f=-16.9?
You should be able to solve for the image formed by the lens, which is the final image.
Once you find the final image distance, you can solve for the magnification of the lens as you were doing before.

BTW: I remember being assigned this problem too when I did intro optics!:smile:

Last edited:
Thanks for the help!

No problem. Anytime!

Related to Locating Image & Calculating Magnification for Figure P23.50

1. How do I locate an image for Figure P23.50?

To locate an image for Figure P23.50, you need to first identify the object in the figure. Then, measure the distance from the object to the lens or mirror. Next, determine the type of lens or mirror being used (convex or concave). Finally, use the appropriate equation (1/f = 1/di + 1/do for lenses or 1/f = 1/di - 1/do for mirrors) to calculate the distance of the image from the lens or mirror.

2. How do I calculate the magnification for Figure P23.50?

To calculate the magnification for Figure P23.50, you need to first measure the size of the object and the size of the image. Then, use the equation m = hi/ho = -di/do, where m is the magnification, hi is the height of the image, and ho is the height of the object. The negative sign indicates whether the image is upright or inverted.

3. What is the difference between magnification and resolution?

Magnification refers to the increase in size of an object when viewed through a lens or mirror. Resolution, on the other hand, refers to the ability to distinguish between two closely spaced objects. While magnification can improve the apparent size of an object, resolution is determined by the quality of the lens or mirror being used.

4. How does the distance between the object and the lens/mirror affect the image in Figure P23.50?

The distance between the object and the lens/mirror plays a crucial role in determining the characteristics of the image in Figure P23.50. As the distance increases, the size of the image decreases and the image becomes more blurred. On the other hand, as the distance decreases, the size of the image increases and the image becomes clearer.

5. Can I use the same equations for locating an image and calculating magnification for any type of lens or mirror?

No, the equations for locating an image and calculating magnification differ depending on the type of lens or mirror being used. Convex lenses and concave lenses have different equations, as do concave mirrors and convex mirrors. Additionally, the equations may differ depending on whether the object is located in front of or behind the lens or mirror.