Local vs. global charge conservation

In summary, gauging a symmetry turns it into a local symmetry so that you still get the local conservation law, but you also introduce gauge fields.
kexue
Is it correct that theories such as the free complex scalar field or the free Dircac field with their global U(1) symmetry give rise to only globally conserved charges (a globally conserved Noether charge)? If so, how can that be shown?

Also, is it somewhat correct to say that the main reason for gauging a global symmetry, i.e. turning it into a local symmetry, is turning the globally conserverd charge into locally conserved one?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
kexue said:
Is it correct that theories such as the free complex scalar field or the free Dircac field with their global U(1) symmetry give rise to only globally conserved charges (a globally conserved Noether charge)? If so, how can that be shown?

Also, is it somewhat correct to say that the main reason for gauging a global symmetry, i.e. turning it into a local symmetry, is turning the globally conserverd charge into locally conserved one?

thank you

I'm not sure you're using the word "global" and "local" correctly. If you have a GLOBAL symmetry, you have a LOCAL conservation law:

[tex]\partial_\mu J^\mu=0[/tex]

This follows from a standard derivation of Noether's Theorem in your favorite textbook or on Wikipedia.

When you gauge a symmetry, thus making it a LOCAL symmetry, you still get the local conservation law, but you also introduce gauge fields (like the photon) coupling to your fermion or scalar. THAT is why you "gauge" the symmetry.

Hope that helps.

Well, I own a book, 'Moonshine beyond the monster' by Terry Gannon where on page 268 the author says that a global symmetry implies conservation of a global charge, whereas a gauge symmetry implies local conservation of charge. But as you point out every other textbook says that a global symmetry gives a local conservation law. That confused me.

Also, why then gauging a symmetry is necessary and so overly important is not clear at all to me. What is gained by making a global symmetry local?

Last edited:
Never heard of that book, but the statement about "local conservation law" and "local symmetry" doesn't work for me.

A gauge symmetry is necessary for many reasons. Probably the biggest reason is that it is the only way we know of to write down a consistent, Lorentz-invariant local theory of interacting spin-1 particles (photon, W, Z, gluon, ...). By promoting a global symmetry to a local symmetry, you have to introduce "electromagnetism" and its various generalizations (weak nuclear force, strong nuclear force, etc).

Related to Local vs. global charge conservation

1. What is charge conservation?

Charge conservation is a fundamental law of physics that states that the total electric charge in a closed system remains constant over time. This means that charge cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or redistributed.

2. What is the difference between local and global charge conservation?

Local charge conservation refers to the conservation of charge within a specific region or system. This means that the total charge within that region remains constant, even if charge is transferred between different objects within the region. Global charge conservation, on the other hand, refers to the conservation of charge for the entire universe.

3. Why is charge conservation important?

Charge conservation is important because it is a fundamental law of nature that governs the behavior of electric charge. It helps to explain and predict the behavior of electrically charged particles and systems, and is crucial for understanding many natural phenomena and technological applications.

4. Can charge conservation ever be violated?

In classical physics, charge conservation is always observed and has never been violated. However, in certain theories of quantum mechanics and cosmology, there are instances where charge conservation may not hold true. These theories are still being studied and debated, and more evidence is needed to fully understand the concept of charge conservation in these contexts.

5. How is charge conservation related to other conservation laws?

Charge conservation is closely related to other conservation laws such as energy conservation and momentum conservation. In fact, these conservation laws are all interconnected through the fundamental principles of symmetry and invariance in nature. For example, charge conservation is linked to the conservation of energy through the law of conservation of charge in electromagnetic interactions.