Liquid cooling PCs, why so expensive?

In summary, liquid cooling PCs can be very expensive, but it may be worth it to purchase a system that is specifically designed for water cooling.
Pengwuino
Gold Member
Liquid cooling PCs, why so expensive??

So I was thinking about getting a new computer which means new water cooling system :D teehee! I was pricing out systems and noticed that some are just so ridiculously expensive. For example, looking at the components vs. stuff I can find on amazon...

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2..._Pump_1321_GPH_500733-01.html?tl=g30c107s153"

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002HFTIY/?tag=pfamazon01-20

The water fountain pump has a higher flow rate, similar pressure, etc. So why does the pump for the pc water cooling cost so much more? I'm wondering if it's simply because they know people are willing to spend enormous amounts of money on these water cooling systems so they can jack up the price.

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/1...g_Reservoir_8_Total_Ports.html?tl=g30c97s166"

Radiators costs $100+! Anyone with experience in this area... do you know why these parts cost so much?

Last edited by a moderator:
Computer science news on Phys.org

Well I'd suspect it's more to do with running water through a piece of electronics not designed for it.

As such, the last thing you want is a leak. So it needs to be designed and manufactured to a high standard.

Especially when you consider you can't see inside most computers and people rarely check, so you wouldn't spot a leak until it's too late - generally when there's a short or fire.

So my vote goes to safety.

JaredJames said:
So my vote goes to safety.

Ah, if that's true, then I'm happy because all my equipment would be external to the actual system. Hell, I want to build a reservoir simply because I want the option to drop ice cubes into it if I ever wanted to :p

Although on second thought, I actually noticed submersible water pumps, so I figure that wouldn't be a concern :D

Pengwuino said:
Ah, if that's true, then I'm happy because all my equipment would be external to the actual system. Hell, I want to build a reservoir simply because I want the option to drop ice cubes into it if I ever wanted to :p

Although on second thought, I actually noticed submersible water pumps, so I figure that wouldn't be a concern :D

I'd watch getting things too cold.

The last thing you want is condensation on the inside.

Cold pipe, warm potentially moist air isn't a good mix with electronics.

You'd need to build it at an angle so condensation run off perhaps?

JaredJames said:
I'd watch getting things too cold.

The last thing you want is condensation on the inside.

Cold pipe, warm potentially moist air isn't a good mix with electronics.

You'd need to build it at an angle so condensation run off perhaps?

No it would never get to condensation temperatures. I would only put in ice cubes and only when I know I'm going to be really revving the system up and the heat dissipation.

You should be ok then.

As long as there are no leak risks and it's isolated you should be fine.

My personal thoughts would be with an external pump and then one section of pipe (so there are no joints within the computer) running in, through the required systems and then back out.

I was thinking about how to integrate a Peltier cooler into all of this... TEEHEE.

there are non-conductive fluids you can use in place of water that are designed for this.

also, when you first set-up the system, get all the plumbing hooked up to the heat sinks and run the system for a day or two and observe if you have any leaks. if not, then without disassembling anything install it and you're good. if you do have a leak, tighten things up and give it another run.

you should be able to build your own system for cheap, using standard plumbing items, all except for the heatsinks which will have to be designed to sit on the hardware properly.

Use oil not water. You can run entire setups fully submered in dielectric oil.

We used to use it it as an electrical insulator on high power downhole (7kV+) connectors as when cooling was required.

xxChrisxx said:
Use oil not water. You can run entire setups fully submered in dielectric oil.

We used to use it it as an electrical insulator on high power downhole (7kV+) connectors as when cooling was required.

oil is more viscous and will strain the pump, also i do not think oil will conduct heat as efficiently as a water-based fluid.

pergradus said:
oil is more viscous and will strain the pump, also i do not think oil will conduct heat as efficiently as a water-based fluid.

Depends on the oil and pump. It's just a case of finding the right one for the job.

Most oils won't be as efficient as other coolants, but you don't run the risk of cooking your setup if it all goes horribly wrong.

pergradus said:
there are non-conductive fluids you can use in place of water that are designed for this.

also, when you first set-up the system, get all the plumbing hooked up to the heat sinks and run the system for a day or two and observe if you have any leaks. if not, then without disassembling anything install it and you're good. if you do have a leak, tighten things up and give it another run.

I know, I've built a couple of systems already. The systems were pre-built into the case and was expensive :(

xxChrisxx said:
Use oil, not water.

You can run entire setups submered in dielectric oil.

I'm not doing that non-sense! I wouldn't want to use it as the coolant either since it has a smaller heat capacity than water.

Dont they use liquid nitrogen?

Just get some 5mm copper pipe, run it between the fan and the heat sink for the CPU (get good contact on the heat sink) and then out to an external pump. Job done.

To improve things a bit, I'd use car engine coolant diluted with water (in other words, exactly what you'd put in the engine).
Joasase said:
Dont they use liquid nitrogen?

No, personal computers rarely, if ever, use nitrogen.

JaredJames said:
Just get some 5mm copper pipe, run it between the fan and the heat sink for the CPU and then out to an external pump. Job done.

To improve things a bit, I'd use car engine coolant diluted with water (in other words, exactly what you'd put in the engine).

That sounds silly. You don't want air to be a medium in your heat exchange (which it would be between the heat sink and pipes.
No, personal computers rarely, if ever, use nitrogen.

Only if you're awesome.

I only ever see them used when people want to find 'theoretical' limits to CPU overclocking. They'll just have a tank of LN being poured directly into the core for a few minutes and they push the CPU to its limits.

The premixed antifreeze in engine coolant would lower heat capacites and wetting performance. As you don't need to worry about your PC freezing! A setup with deionised water and a water wetter would be better (a racing coolant).

Pengwuino said:
That sounds silly. You don't want air to be a medium in your heat exchange (which it would be between the heat sink and pipes.

The copper pipe would be touching the heat sink (if worked properly you could run the pipe through the heat sink). Direct contact, not air based.

The fan just adds a bit extra cooling.

This is sort of what I'm thinking of:
Make-a-removable-laptop-water-cooler-And-other-co.jpg

Just replace the copper heat sink in that with a standard CPU one which you drill / adapt yourself.

The fan that would be on top of the heat sink would just boost cooling.

So something like this basic setup, but with the above copper pipe running through it:
VGAPeltier5600.jpg

JaredJames said:
The copper pipe would be touching the heat sink (if worked properly you could run the pipe through the heat sink).

The fan just adds a bit extra cooling.

I'm fine with water blocks, I haven't had a leak at a water block in about 10 years. I'm wondering if there are sensors that can detect water leakage. I'd probably put pads around joints and setup a sensor on the pads to detect water leakage.

Pengwuino said:
I'm fine with water blocks, I haven't had a leak at a water block in about 10 years. I'm wondering if there are sensors that can detect water leakage. I'd probably put pads around joints and setup a sensor on the pads to detect water leakage.

I'm a tad pessimistic when it comes to things like this. Just the threat of a leak is enough to make me think twice. There's a fair bit of money in that box.

Is water cooling worth it? I'm working out the details for a new build this summer.

jhae2.718 said:
Is water cooling worth it? I'm working out the details for a new build this summer.

Can be, it stops the need for colossal fans and heat sinks. So you don't go deaf from fan noise.

JaredJames said:
I'm a tad pessimistic when it comes to things like this. Just the threat of a leak is enough to make me think twice. There's a fair bit of money in that box.

That's actually a good thing for me. I plan on going somewhat cheap on everything else in the computer. I hope to recoup the cost of the water cooler simply on the extra horsepower i can pull out of the CPU when overclocked (not that that's all that legitimate of a way of reducing costs :P). Way back before I was doing water cooling, I had a computer that was so loud that I could hardly stand it at times. So I went the other way, getting water cooling mainly for noise reasons.

jhae2.718 said:

Depends. Is there cheaper ways to improve the temperature of your CPU so you can overclock it? Sure. Are there cheaper ways to lower the noise level of your case as a whole? Sure. Both at the same time? Debatable. And the coolness factor? + [tex]\infty[/tex]

Related to Liquid cooling PCs, why so expensive?

1. What is liquid cooling and why is it used in PCs?

Liquid cooling is a method of cooling electronic components, such as processors and graphics cards, by circulating a liquid coolant through a series of tubes and pipes. It is used in PCs to dissipate heat more efficiently than traditional air cooling methods, allowing for better performance and longer lifespan of the components.

2. Why is liquid cooling more expensive than air cooling?

Liquid cooling systems require specialized components such as pumps, radiators, and tubing, which are more expensive than traditional air cooling systems. Additionally, the installation and maintenance of liquid cooling requires more expertise and time, which can also contribute to the higher cost.

3. Are there any benefits to using liquid cooling in a PC?

Yes, liquid cooling offers several benefits over air cooling. It can provide better cooling performance, allowing for higher overclocking potential and quieter operation. It also helps to prevent dust build-up and can extend the lifespan of your components.

4. Is liquid cooling necessary for all PCs?

No, liquid cooling is not necessary for all PCs. It is typically only used in high-performance systems or for extreme overclocking. For most standard usage, air cooling is sufficient and more cost-effective.

5. Can I install a liquid cooling system on my own?

While it is possible to install a liquid cooling system on your own, it is not recommended unless you have experience and knowledge in PC building and maintenance. Improper installation can result in damage to your components and potentially void your warranty. It is best to seek professional help or thoroughly research and understand the process before attempting it on your own.