Liquid CO2 Volume\Weight Measurment in Cylinder

In summary, David is looking for a way to measure the transfer of liquid CO2 from one cylinder to another and determine the exact volume transferred. He is interested in using pressure measurements to determine the volume of CO2 in the receiving cylinder. However, he does not want to use a flow meter or weight scale. The parameters for the experiment include transferring 16oz of liquid CO2 from a standard 50lb Dip Tube CO2 liquid supply cylinder to a receiving cylinder with a max capacity of 20oz. David is looking for calculations to determine the volume or pressure of CO2 at a given amount using a fixed container size. Nidum suggests using the equilibrium vapor pressure of CO2 at the temperature inside the container, but David also
Drohar
Hello,

I have been working on a personal project involving the transfer of liquid CO2. I want to figure out a way to measure the transfer of liquid CO2 from one cylinder (supply cylinder) to another (receiving cylinder) and get an exact measurement of how much CO2 was transferred into the receiving cylinder. I am interested in finding out if there is a way to determine the volume of liquid CO2 in the receiving cylinder by using pressure measurements. For example, if I know a certain volume of CO2 in a fixed size container produces a certain pressure measurement can I say that every transfer of liquid CO2 into a similar cylinder will produce the same volume, assuming all conditions are the same? Any direction is appreciated.

Parameters:
  1. I do not want to use a flow meter as they are very expensive.
  2. I do not want to use a weight scale as I already used that method.
  3. For this experiment I want to transfer 16oz of liquid CO2 from the supply cylinder to the receiving cylinder.
  4. Let’s assume the supply tank is a standard 50lb Dip Tube CO2 liquid supply cylinder.
  5. Let’s assume the receiving cylinder is initially empty.
  6. Lest assume the receiving cylinder is rated for max 20oz capacity.
Any direction is appreciated and if you have any further questions let me know.

Regards,

David

Physics news on Phys.org
A device commonly used for plain liquids is the measuring chamber . An intermediate cylinder of known volume is first filled from the main cylinder and then discharged into the receiver cylinder .

Hi Nidum, Thanks for your reply. I am looking more for calculations to determine Volume of CO2 at a given pressure for a given amount and/or Pressure of CO2 at a given volume for a given amount using a fixed container size assuming that the CO2 is always in liquid state.

As long as you have liquid CO2 in that container, the pressure of the CO2 vapors will be the so called "equilibrium vapor pressure" which depend on the temperature but not on the amount of liquid.
However, you also have some contribution from the air left in the container. When you say "initially empty" I believe you mean full of air and not vacuumed, right?
Now, if this air cannot escape from the second container as you fill it up, the air pressure will increase as you add more liquid. If this is the case and if you can separate the contribution of air pressure from the total pressure, you may be able to use it to estimate amount of liquid.
But you will need to know the equilibrium vapor pressure at the temperature inside the container.

Related to Liquid CO2 Volume\Weight Measurment in Cylinder

1. How is the volume of liquid CO2 measured in a cylinder?

The volume of liquid CO2 in a cylinder is usually measured using a graduated cylinder or a burette. The graduated cylinder is a tall, narrow, and cylindrical container with volume markings on the side. The burette, on the other hand, is a long, narrow tube with a stopcock at the bottom and volume markings on the side.

2. What is the unit of measurement for liquid CO2 volume?

The unit of measurement for liquid CO2 volume is usually expressed in liters (L) or milliliters (mL). In some cases, it can also be measured in cubic meters (m^3) or cubic centimeters (cm^3).

3. How is the weight of liquid CO2 calculated in a cylinder?

The weight of liquid CO2 in a cylinder is calculated by multiplying the volume of the liquid by its density. The density of liquid CO2 can vary depending on temperature and pressure, but it is typically around 0.8 g/mL. Therefore, if the volume of liquid CO2 is 1 L, the weight would be 0.8 kg.

4. How do you convert liquid CO2 volume to weight?

To convert liquid CO2 volume to weight, you need to know the density of the liquid at a specific temperature and pressure. Once you have the density, you can use the formula: weight = volume x density. For example, if the density of liquid CO2 is 0.8 g/mL and the volume is 1 L, the weight would be 0.8 kg.

5. Why is it important to accurately measure the volume and weight of liquid CO2 in a cylinder?

Accurate measurement of liquid CO2 volume and weight is important for several reasons. First, it ensures that the correct amount of CO2 is being used in a process or experiment. Second, it helps in calculating the cost of the CO2 used. Third, it is important for safety reasons as using too much or too little liquid CO2 can have adverse effects. Finally, accurate measurements can help in determining the efficiency of a process that uses liquid CO2.