Lines of action of forces and net torque

In summary, if the lines of action of three forces pass through a common point, the net torque about that point is zero.
makeAwish
I have a question.

For example there are three forces of diff magnitudes and are in three diff directions (not oppo directions) acting on a body. if the lines of action of the 3 forces pass through a common point, why the net torque abt that pt is zero?

Can someone help me pls?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
k I am not sure what u asking but , u could add up all the x and y components
of the vectors and get the resultant vector.

Erm. What i want to ask is just this:

Why when the lines of action of 3 forces pass through a common point, the net torque abt that common point is zero?

I think I understand your question. Suppose we have we have a rod x units long, centered at x = 0. Suppose there is a force +F at +x/2 and a force -F at -x/2. There is no net force on the rod, but there is a torque about the point x=0. However, if the two opposing forces were both applied at x=0, then there is no torque about the point x=0. Even if the two opposing forces were applied at x=0 but not equal, there still is no torque about the point x=0. Is this your question?.

Hi makeAwish! :smile:
makeAwish said:
if the lines of action of the 3 forces pass through a common point, why the net torque abt that pt is zero?

It even works for just one force …

the net torque must be zero about any point if the force goes through that point …

torque (or moment) = force x distance, and distance = 0. :smile:

(btw, this is why we always take moments about hinges etc, because we want to simplify the problem by leaving out the force at that point :wink:)

oh ya... each force produces zero torque cos r is 0, so the sum of it at that point is still zero..

haha. thanks a lot! :)

Related to Lines of action of forces and net torque

1. What is the definition of "line of action" of a force?

The line of action of a force is an imaginary line that represents the direction in which the force is acting on an object.

2. How do you find the line of action of a force?

To find the line of action of a force, you can draw a vector representing the force and extend the line until it intersects with the object or point where the force is being applied.

3. What is the significance of the line of action of a force?

The line of action of a force helps determine the direction and magnitude of the force, which is important in understanding the overall motion and stability of an object.

4. How is net torque calculated?

Net torque is calculated by multiplying the force applied by the distance from the pivot point to the line of action of the force, and then summing up all the torques in a given system.

5. How does the line of action of a force affect the net torque on an object?

The line of action of a force determines the direction and magnitude of the torque on an object. If the line of action is perpendicular to the lever arm, there will be a maximum torque, whereas if the line of action is parallel to the lever arm, there will be no torque.